+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to change the surname of my DD? Can't get consent from birth father....

Quote Originally Posted by ~Temet Nosce~ View Post
    Sorry to crash the thread, but I'm wondering if you still need permission from the father to change a surname even if you have sole custody/sole parental responsibility (final orders) I was under the impression you don't. I've been thinking about changing my kids names, well just dropping a name, they currently have my name and my ex's name (hyphenated) I want to drop his surname off the end and just have it as mine (he doesn't see them at all)
    Can I do this?
    If you have a court order stating that you have sole custody you won't need the other parent.
    Have a look on the BDM websites change of child's name form and it states that if you are a "sole parent" you only need your signature and identity forms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to change the surname of my DD? Can't get consent from birth father....

Quote Originally Posted by OhGeeMuma View Post
    I'm interested in this too. My DD has my surname (her bio father has had little to do with her, although sees her about once every 2 months) and I now have another child with my current partner and we're getting married next year. I want to change DD's surname, so that we are all the same. Her dad isn't on the BC but there is a court order stating he is the father for child support purposes.
    I say this without meaning to offend you. But it sounds like you want to change your DD's name because it's convenient for you and to "match" the rest of your family. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.
    Unfortunately unless it is truly affecting your child a court won't even consider it.
    You need to show that it is the best interest of the child and have this in writing and loads of evidence.
    A court psychologist will pick up in 5 minutes whether it's really an issue for your child.
    If the child still has contact with the bio dad it's a very high % rate that a judge orders just a hyphenated name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    If you have a court order stating that you have sole custody you won't need the other parent.
    Have a look on the BDM websites change of child's name form and it states that if you are a "sole parent" you only need your signature and identity forms.
    No this isnt what I've found. Im in QLD and to get my daughter a passport, I was required to have my ex husbands signature and consent, even though I do have a court order granting me full, and sole responsibility. The problem is, he is identified as a birth parent on the birth certificate, and thus need two signatures. The form I checked out this morning about name changing also required the two signatures, and would require me attending a court to get permission, etc (as another poster has said). This isnt really an option for us as we have been advised legally.
    So, my original thoughts of hyphenating her name as a 'known as' name sounds like the best option for now until she is old enough to change it herself.

I was interested in changing it so that when we are married (eventually) and our new baby is born, we all have the same surname. She is 8 and doesnt really know any different. So I was thinking of hyphenating it to avoid the questioning of "why is my name different to my sister?". Its a long story to explain.

But it looks like hyphenating is the only option. How would I prove her identity though? Someone said something about a licence and things? Wouldnt you need your birth certificate for that?

*confused*

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefully Waiting View Post
    No this isnt what I've found. Im in QLD and to get my daughter a passport, I was required to have my ex husbands signature and consent, even though I do have a court order granting me full, and sole responsibility. The problem is, he is identified as a birth parent on the birth certificate, and thus need two signatures. The form I checked out this morning about name changing also required the two signatures, and would require me attending a court to get permission, etc (as another poster has said). This isnt really an option for us as we have been advised legally.
    So, my original thoughts of hyphenating her name as a 'known as' name sounds like the best option for now until she is old enough to change it herself.

I was interested in changing it so that when we are married (eventually) and our new baby is born, we all have the same surname. She is 8 and doesnt really know any different. So I was thinking of hyphenating it to avoid the questioning of "why is my name different to my sister?". Its a long story to explain.

But it looks like hyphenating is the only option. How would I prove her identity though? Someone said something about a licence and things? Wouldnt you need your birth certificate for that?

*confused*
    Sorry. It must be different from state to state. A sole parent can apply to BDM to have it changed. It's on the form.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry. It must be different from state to state. A sole parent can apply to BDM to have it changed. It's on the form.
    Ah, got to love inconsistencies in states. When you say form, which form is it you are referring to? I was looking at this form this morning which is why I believed I needed the permission of my ex:
    http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/__data...ation-form.pdf

Was the form you meant a different one for a different state maybe? Maybe I missed something and there's hope!

Thanks
    Reviews

It's a different form as I'm Vic. But I was referring to the fact that you can apply as a sole parent when the other party isn't on the birth certificate.
    Read section 1-3 in the guidelines. You can still apply to the magistrates court and seek a change without his permission which I would be doing I your case if he hasn't seen her in 6 years.
    Then if you were successful in court you can fill out your form with the attached orders as a sole parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm in vic, my lawyer told me after I was given sole responsibility that I wouldn't need ex's consent for anything, for passports, moving towns/states etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a different form as I'm Vic. But I was referring to the fact that you can apply as a sole parent when the other party isn't on the birth certificate.
    Read section 1-3 in the guidelines. You can still apply to the magistrates court and seek a change without his permission which I would be doing I your case if he hasn't seen her in 6 years.
    Then if you were successful in court you can fill out your form with the attached orders as a sole parent.
    I did see that in the guidelines but as I said in the first post we've been advised to let 'sleeping dogs lie'. If we apply to the court for ANYTHING we run the risk of the custody arrangement being changed. Its a really long complicated legal mess that I cant go into but I really appreciate your help. Thanks !

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm in vic, my lawyer told me after I was given sole responsibility that I wouldn't need ex's consent for anything, for passports, moving towns/states etc.
    Yep. This is the impression I was under also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How I wish it were that easy!