+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private health changing to family cover- la trobe health

Has anyone here changed from two singles to family cover within la trobe health? Did you have to serve a waiting period for the baby?

I just got off the phone to the hispital and by chance the subject of family cover came up. The lady said there is usually a two month waiting period for the baby even if you are an existing member. I'm not due until Jan 14th, but if I go a month early, bubs will need help, but won't be covered. Ahhhh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I'm with a different company, but work in the industry.

Yes there is a 2mth waiting period when upgrading to family m'ship normally. So if you are upgrading right now, bubs isn't due until mid-Jan so should be fine even if a month early.

If there are no complications them the baby is covered under your admission anyway.

If there are any issues with your baby and they have to be admitted as their own patient, then you could request he be transferred to the Children's if you haven't served the 2mths by then yet.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I will call them tomorrow and change over. I wanted to do it ages ago but DH kept fobbing it off. Tonight he even said, Im sure it will be ok, I'll just do it when you go into labor. Oh boy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Ha ha, men!

Well technically you don't have to have family cover when you give birth, as baby is included in your stay.

It's only if bubs needs to be admitted as a patient that you want family cover in place (or send them to public hospital).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spoke to la trobe health today, aparently we have couples cover not singles.

The lady said that the baby would be covered under couples if needing to be admitted. Hmm I hope she is correct. Ill call the hospital and speak to the lady who initially told me about the waiting peoiod and see if shes ever heard of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that, I'm seeing the OB next week, will get her to fill one out.