+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toilet Training - where to start and do it before or after new bub??

Ok, so DS is 21 mo and has recently started coming and telling me when he's done a poo (points to his nappy and says 'poo'). I think he also says the same thing when he has a wee, as often he'll say poo, but he hasn't. His verbal communication skills aren't great - he only has a handful of words.

So I'm wondering how on earth you start TT, and what other signs to look out for that he's ready?? As soon as he tells me he's done a poo I praise him, we go change his nappy straight away and then flush the poo down the toilet (use MCN's).

#2 is due in April, and I've read you shoud really start TT well before new bub is born (but be prepared for regression when bub comes), or wait until a few months after - if I wait until after DS will be 2.5, is that leaving it too late??

Sorry, so many questions, I'm so confused!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's up to you really. Sounds like he could well be ready but you need to be ready too. There is a strong chance he will regress if it seems to take longer than you anticipated, then you will be dealing with a new born and other mess.

But having said that, if he is ready he might take a few weeks to TT and will be well and truly practised once bub arrives! You could always try & if he doesn't seem to be getting it then wait until after bub?

I used the 3 day TT method for my kids, you can find it online or I'm happy to email it to you if you are interested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Toilet Training - where to start and do it before or after new bub??

I'd start now. By delaying it you could be reinforcing that pooping/wee in nappies is right vs on the toilet.

We had a slight regression but it was fine after a month.