+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,248
    Thanks
    489
    Thanked
    1,263
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Apparently it tarnishes quicker if you live near sea.
    Yeps that's me, spend 6 days a week working a restaurant on the beach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    A silver polishing cloth from the jewellers will get the tarnishing off.I used to work in a jeweller and the silver exposed to light would tarnish quickly. I've also noticed at home the silver I have on an earring stand has tarnished but not the silver I have in a jewellery box. Usually if you are wearing it the light doesn't tarnish it though, and a week is pretty quick! I had a friend who turned a couple of sterlinng silver necklaces black, must've been something in her skin, but I don't think ALL silver went black on her. Some silvers have a differnt composition (like nickel free or how there is more pure silver than others), maybe you have something in your skin that reacts to that particular silver the Tiffany necklace is made of? Is it stamped 925?Either way, if it tarnishes that quickly again I'd probably ring them again to seek advice.
    Thanks will give it a clean and maybe not wear it to work (avoid sea air) but then that means I won't be wearing it 6/7 days.....It is stamped 925. Does that mean its pure silver?None of other silver jewellery has tarnished that fast including earrings, rings and my other necklace which were all sterling silver as well. It was shiny when I got it and now it's just dull with bits of black.... Will try to post a photo later tonight when I finish work

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,125
    Thanks
    1,810
    Thanked
    1,694
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    925 means its sterling silver- that it's 92.5% silver and the other 7.5% other metals- I think usually copper but not sure, and I think some manufacturers use different metals. It's mixed because pure silver is too soft for jewellery. It's strange though that this piece has tarnished and the others haven't as they are most likely 925 as well? All I can think of is that Tiffany's use a different metal or something?


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-11-2016, 20:17
  2. Do you prefer silver or gold?
    By Kazza78 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 10:42
  3. Silver Cross - Dazzle, Surf and Doodle
    By carben in forum Product Recommendations & Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-04-2012, 12:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pyjamas.com.au
With so many gorgeous brands and styles for every season, our pyjamas, nighties, robes, sleepsuits and sleeping bags are lovely for lights out and perfect for lazy days. Get 10% off first order using code bubhub. Be quick offer ends 31/12/16.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Medela Australia
Our goal is to give mothers and babies the best possible support for a great and long lasting breastfeeding experience. Medela have a full range of breastpumps and breastcare products, suited to every need and lifestyle.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!