+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Silver jewelary tarnish

So I was given a silver necklace from Tiffany's a week ago and it's already black from tarnish. What do you use to clean silver, and what are ways to reduce the onset of tarnish?

I ccalled Tiffany's and the snooty lady (of course) told me it was normal and to just clean it or take it into the store (3 hours away, I don't think so) and pay for it to be cleaned!!

Mega-p!ssed as it was expensive and I've had it a week!!! I'd been wearing the same silver necklace for the last 3 years and had only needed to clean it about once!!

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Silver jewelary tarnish

Sounds like silver plated to me and the plating had worn off. Sorry

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I use a polishing cloth to clean my silver jewelry, I hope I don't offend but are you sure it was not a fake Tiffany necklace? I only ask as one of the girls at work bought a fake Tiffany heart necklace on line last year and it went black after a week - usually they last a few years!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Sounds like silver plated to me and the plating had worn off. Sorry
    It's sterling silver not silver plated.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I use a polishing cloth to clean my silver jewelry, I hope I don't offend but are you sure it was not a fake Tiffany necklace? I only ask as one of the girls at work bought a fake Tiffany heart necklace on line last year and it went black after a week - usually they last a few years!
    Definitely not fake, purchased from the store in Sydney.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You can start by lining a basin with some alfoil, a dessert spoon of borax and pour boiling water over. Leave the item sit in there for a few minutes then take it out and polish with a soft cloth.

Definitely worth investing in a silver polishing cloth too.

Perhaps you are using a moisturiser/perfume/shower gel that is causing the silver to tarnish like that. My Tiffany silver has not tarnished much at all in the 6 or 7 years I have had it.

Thanks
    Reviews

I used to work in a jewelry store and we sold cleaning cloths for silver jewelry, they work great.
    Also toothpaste and an old toothbrush will get grit out of all the little spaces.

Just so you know though, the black is what is supposed to happen to silver, it's what gives it it's character and protects it.
    If you aren't a fan of the black then I suggest getting white gold

Also if you have unusually oily or dirty skin it will blacken quicker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Melon View Post
    Just so you know though, the black is what is supposed to happen to silver, it's what gives it it's character and protects it.
    I know its what's supposed to happen, but in a week? I'd expect it after a few months, but not to be black after a week......

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds really suss! I've never had any sterling silver jewelery turn black after only a week! I'd be so p!ssed off!
    Could you post a photo of the blackened necklace??

Thanks
    Reviews

Apparently it tarnishes quicker if you live near sea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A silver polishing cloth from the jewellers will get the tarnishing off.

I used to work in a jeweller and the silver exposed to light would tarnish quickly. I've also noticed at home the silver I have on an earring stand has tarnished but not the silver I have in a jewellery box.

Usually if you are wearing it the light doesn't tarnish it though, and a week is pretty quick! I had a friend who turned a couple of sterlinng silver necklaces black, must've been something in her skin, but I don't think ALL silver went black on her. Some silvers have a differnt composition (like nickel free or how there is more pure silver than others), maybe you have something in your skin that reacts to that particular silver the Tiffany necklace is made of? Is it stamped 925?

Either way, if it tarnishes that quickly again I'd probably ring them again to seek advice.