+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nasal Bone???

Hi just wondering if anyone has had NT blood + scan results come back in the low risk range but have had a soft marker for down syndrome found during the 12 week scan?
    The experiences I've found searching on the net have all shown a high risk combined result.

I had my NT scan at 13 weeks 4 days and nuchal fluid was 2mm so good. Nothing else was found and the lady doing the ultrasound said baby looked good with low risk of downs. The next day my Ob called saying that the report said everything was good except " nasal bone couldn't confidently be demonstrated."
    My combined risk came back at 1:490 which is considered low risk but my Ob recommends an amnio due to the questionable nasal bone and increased risk due to my age (I'll be 29 at time of birth so didn't think this was an issue!).

This news is just devastating. I had a missed miscarriage at 13 weeks earlier this year so have been very anxious to make it to this point and to now have to wait another 2 weeks for an amnio is just agony

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babydreama, Sorry you're having such a worrying time. I haven't had the experience you're describing but it seems that the ultrasound tech didn't actually find that the nasal bone was missing definitively? It sounds more like that when the doctor (usually at the ultrasound facility) reviewed your scan they couldn't say for sure if the baby has a nasal bone. That may be because of the angle or depth of the scan when done? It's positive if the n/t was good and no other signs. It would make sense to me to ask for another scan looking specifically for the nasal bone? Probably a good idea to get the amnio if you want to put your mind at ease for sure, or if it makes a difference to what you would do if the baby had d/s. But your overall risk sounds low. I know two women that had more than 1:10 risk and had healthy babies.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would have thought a repeat u/s would be more appropriate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Babydreama,
    Sorry to hear that you're going through this and I hope this helps, for my son's 12 week u/s they could not confirm a nasal bone and even when I went for the follow up u/s before my amnio they couldn't confirm it either (15 weeks). I had an amnio because my bloods bumped me into high risk for T21 (1:64), I know you were asking for those with low risk but my son didn't have T21. There is another soft marker scan which can be done at 15/16 weeks if you don't want to have an amnio.
    Wishing you all the best

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nasal Bone???

They couldn't find the nasal bone for my ds either.. But they have to be in a precise position to see it. His nt was 1.8 mm and he is fine with a cute little nose

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nasal Bone???

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. My NT results showed that I have a 1:352 chance and I asked the dr if I should get a further test done but she said no. She said that the risks of a miscarriage is 1:100 after an amnio. She also said anything less than 1:300 would be a high risk and given I'm 1:352, I still in the low risk range. Ill be 35 when I give birth so I think you should be absolutely fine....

If you're still concerned then perhaps get a further u/s done for a second opinion?

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses girls.
    I spoke to my ob about having a follow up ultrasound and he pretty much brushed me away saying that the doubts there now so it won't make a difference to my risk factor. I didn't realise it before but my papp a levels were low also.
    I ended up having an amnio yesterday and the ultrasound showed a good normal looking nasal bone. I'm hoping I've made the right choice. No cramping or issues so far so I'm just waiting for the FISH results. I was hoping they would ring today but it's looking like I'll have to wait until monday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just got my FISH results and they came back normal! Yay!
    Omg the stress has been unbearable!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nasal Bone???

Congrats! I'm happy for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great news!