+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Hats and strangulation hazard

Im just after some advice if i could.

Im having trouble finding a wide brim sun hat for my 2 year old.

She pulls them straight off and screams when i put one on. The only way she keeps it on is if it has a strap. They also fall off or blow off when she plays without a strap

I was told that most hats dont have the toggle cord underneath as it poses a strangulation risk and the velcro ones seem to only be on ones for babies.

I found some with the toggle which i could cut and just tie but im not sure this would be any safer.

Some tips on what to do to keep a hat on her head and wear to buy any with the toggle on the top part of the hat would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Hats and strangulation hazard

Im lucky so far as my DS is going through a hat obsession so taking them off is a problem! I think as long as you are supervising her when wearing it with the strap she will be fine - I'm thinking tree climbing or anything where the strap could get caught on something is the problem, general play or sitting/swimming should be fine when under supervision

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids have always had hats with straps on the them simply because they blow off otherwise. When they do have them on though i'm supervising the because we are usually at the park or somewhere and i honstly never thought of them being a strangulation risk. I wouldn't let them wear it to bed or anything so i wouldn't think it would be a problem

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you.

Once they are older (like school age) i understand as they arent watched 24/7 but when she has the hat on ill be watching her like a hawk as i would anyway.

I cant see any other way of keeping it on.

I was quite surprised when i was told they pose a risk. Obviously they arent banned as they still sell them. Confusing....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It has never occurred to me that there is a strangulation risk with wide brim hats that have a strap with toggle.

I think the risk would be absolutely tiny, and if they are being supervised the whole time the risk would be practically zero.

DS wears wide brim hats with straps, and has done for ages with no dramas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have found the hats made out of bathers material stay on the little kids better.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Hats and strangulation hazard

I love the banz hats, you get baby banz or kids banz for 2 - 5 yrs. Wide brim and have Velcro to adjust to head size. Google banz hats and you should find them.

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Hats and strangulation hazard

I had one that you adjusted the head band with velcro. Still no good. I ended up getting her this oshkosh one with a toggle chin strap
    uploadfromtaptalk1350286039016.jpg

ill just supervise her closely. Thanks for the advice

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub