+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Am I doing this newborn thing right?? Settling better after daytime feeds.

I have a 3 year old but I've totally forgotten how we managed him in the early days. I know there's not one "right way" to do things, but I'd love to hear thoughts from people if there's any suggestions or things I might do better.

My 2 week old is breastfed. I'm trying to do "Feed-Play-Sleep" and also starting with letting him settle himself off to sleep (happens some of the time! I rock him to sleep when he needs it of course, he's so little). I feed him one side, then burp and nappy change, then feed the other. When he's full I do quiet interaction for a bit, then try to put him down for a sleep. (Usually at 1-1.5 hour awake time). I have just started doing this formally in his cot, as previously I'd just plonk him down anywhere. I suspect he's losing his newborn sleepiness so thought I'd try a more formal nap time in his cot.

I guess my worry is he seems to settle much easier after feeds during the day than at night time. He is quite unpredictable, with one to two difficult settling-to-sleep episodes per day, at different times each day. Is this normal? I thought newborns tended to be unsettled at the same time each day....

I'm trying to manipulate him into being unsettled during the day rather than at night but I don't think it'll work haha. Am leaving his room fairly bright for daytime sleeps, and more interaction, whereas at night it's very dark, and I try not to interact/make noise too much. But still settling very well at daytime, not so well after night feeds.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much for any replies.
    Last edited by Piffle; 15-10-2012 at 13:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    My DS had his nights and days mixed up for almost his first 6 weeks. He would sleep perfectly during the day but was up all night!

It sounds like you are doing everything great. Maybe bub just needs a little more time to adjust to life on the outside?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Piffle  (15-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know babies are all different but DD was always so sleepy after feeding when she was that little, I would do wake-nappy change-play (if she wasn't screaming for food) then feed and by the time feed time was over she would fall asleep while I was burping her. I would have interaction time while she was feeding (eye contact talking) or when ever she wasn't sleepy.
    Thants just my DD but maybe your bub gets too excited while changing nappy and play and then he can't sleep....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

Piffle  (15-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much guys. He's settled so easily after his feeds today and slept really well all day so I'm very nervous about what the night holds!! Will try not to stress I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I read somewhere that babies aren't even physically capable of telling night from day until they're at least 2 weeks old, so that might contribute to the problem. My DS never fell into a routine by himself, and he was fairly unpredictable until I started using the SOS routine at 4 months.

I also remember everything going to pot a few days after coming home from the hospital. Babies go through growth spurts at 7-10 days old and about 3 weeks old. Is it possible this is a cause?

Sounds like you're doing all the right things, hopefully you can get a bit better sleep tonight.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeJu's Mum For This Useful Post:

Piffle  (19-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Am I doing this newborn thing right?? Settling better after daytime feeds.

I think its a bit longer, like 6 weeks? Until babies body clock falls into day & night pattern.

Good luck! Newbies are tough and they are all different. I scored an easy newby with katelyn. Though she's been "difficult" since about 3 months :-/

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Piffle  (19-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Am I doing this newborn thing right?? Settling better after daytime feeds.

It sounds like you're doing great! 1-1.5hrs awake time, including feeding is about right. Go with what works for you.
    Congratulations on your new babe

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LlamaMa For This Useful Post:

Piffle  (19-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps everyone. Your replies mean a lot.

Well we had a rough night after I last wrote but then the last 3 nights have been really really good - I kinda do an unofficial dream feed about 9ish, then he's been lasting til about 1am and then 5am! And settling really easy after the night feeds. It's awesome!

Of course he's now quite unsettled through the day and the whole "arsenic hour" thing has started but it's a lot easier to cope with during the day I find.

I'm not expecting this pattern to last really but it's good while it does. He seems to have at least gotten the day-night thing the right way around now. He's being fussy now (SIGH!) off I pop!

Thanks again x.