+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I've Made the Bottle Feeding Decision - Looking for Similar Stories/Experiences

Hi All,

Please note I'm not wanting reasoning for breast feeding or for this to be a debate, I'm posting in this section to get advice from mums who solely bottle fed (formula) from day 1. Whilst I understand everyone has their own opinion, please respect my decision just as I respect yours as a parent either way.

This is baby #3 for me, DS1 & 2 (who are both under 3 so you'd think this'd be fresh in my memory, and not making me tense!) were bottle fed each from about a week/2 weeks (S26 Gold and Karicare AR respectively) I didn't enjoy breast feeding, I got mastitis each time and it was horrendous. This time (I wanted to have the guts to do this last time but chickened out in the hospital!) I really am adamant that I want to bottle feed from day 1, bottle feeding was a great experience for me both times. I only have 5 months maternity leave and am such an active mummy that I find breast feeding so restrictive (personally, I understand not the case for everyone).

So my question is for mummy's who've done this proudly from day dot. What were your experiences? Was there any hostility from hospital staff? (I know my OB will be supportive, he's pretty easy going).. Do you take your own formula to hospital with you? I noticed for top-ups with my boys they used S26 gold, but I didn't enjoy this formula with DS1 and don't think I'd use it again. What were the repercussions for your own body e.g. pain etc? Is it easier just to BF in the hospital and do what you're comfortable with at home? Did you give your baby colostrum and then stop? Or formula from day 1? I'm even chicken to tell the admission clerk at my 32 week appt as people have such huge opinions on this topic, whereas I feel I'm informed enough to make the right one for me this time (still chicken though haha).

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I breastfed in the hospital as I found it easier than dealing with bottles/midwives then switched to formula when I git home. I had no pain or discomfort at all, but I've heard across the board that this is pretty unusual so I don't know why I didn't have swollen breasts etc.

I know a woman who formula fed from birth, she was very comfortable and confident with her decision and simply advised midwives at the check in appointment thing that it was her decision and with all respect, she simply didn't want to enter into a discussion on the topic. That was pretty much that.

They even helped her with sterilizing bottles etc. However the hospital I went to made it quite clear that if you chose to formula feed then learning/dealing with sterilizing bottles etc would be entirely your responsibility.

Regardless of what the hospitals policy is, if you plan to use formula from birth I think you should bring your own. Hospitals usually have tight budgets and I think its only fair to bring your own.

Be confident in your decision, if people choose to judge then thats their issue, not yours.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Where are you going OP, I notice your in Perth? A friend just had bub at Rockingham and she was fully supported in her decision to FF from the get go she did let her OB know that's what she wanted to do as I suggested so that she didn't have to 'go into battle' after bub was born. All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you're looking for a formula I recommend Bellamy organic which is what my 4 month DS is on.

I know someone who didn't BF at all and her decisions were supported. She went private so her midwife and OB knew her plans all along and there was no issue.

Good luck with everything. My DS has been fully FF since 4 weeks old after a hideous BF battle. Mentally, I was about to lose it and choosing to FF was the best thing I ever did for me and consequently my relationship with DS and ongoing mental health. Happy mummy = happy baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    it can be daunting to vocalise! I didn't have a choice when my baby was born, it was my first baby and I didn't have milk, the hopsital provided S26 and fed him through his nose for th first week. I was hoping and so were they that my milk would come in but looking back I think they were so supportive because breast feeding it what i wanted to do. i mentioned to the midwife about bottle feeding and she said to me "ultimately its your choice but we are a breast feeding hopsital so you didn't hear this from me but tell the paed that you want to bottle feed, you will be out of here in the morning". When i told the other nurses that i was going to bottle feed they were all fantastic, one hugged me and said the pressure is so much and you should do what you want to do, you have tried everything and you still don't have milk" When I spoke to the paed i was quite surprised he was quite funny.... he said do you know that this is your baby and you do what you feel is best, don't listen to the breast feeding pressure pots, they aren't the ones without milk" I was really happy, there was one nurse though who was almost yelling at me because I wasn't breastfeeding, the third night in hospital my baby was screaming for hours and the midwife said oh is that your baby... just keep putting him on the boob. i said I DONT HAVE ANY MILK, so by 8am and no sleep for either of off us a beautiful midwife said don't panic we'll up his formula. I think be brave, there are people out there that don't have milk like me and just have to do it, if you want to bottle feed, bottle feed, take your formula with you and some bottles, they will sterilise them for you. I would actually tell you OB and midwife before you go in so they are aware of it, it will ease the pressure.
    Last edited by ml77; 15-10-2012 at 10:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have heard bellamy's is good too. so is heinz nurture. I bottlefed from day 1 in the hospital with my 2nd, I didn't care about the hostility from the midwives, at the end of the day, it's my child my decision. It's not like i'll see them again anyway. Do what is right for you, don't worry about what anybody says.

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My first two children were ff from day 3-4 but when I had my third I decided to ff from birth. I was confident in my decision and I found absolutely no one questioned me or pressured me. I put it down to the fact that it was my third child, possibly if I was a first time parent they would have been more vocal. I brought in my own formula and bottles but they should also have one kind of formula and bottles for you to use. If anyone gives you grief just remind them that you already have 2 ff kids who are healthy and growing just fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: I've Made the Bottle Feeding Decision - Looking for Similar Stories/Experiences

I used Bellamys Organic too and was extremely happy with it

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ..
    I ff dd1 from day 8.. It was the best decision .. No pain stopping cold turkey .. With dd2, I has her @ 30wks.. So I attempted to express .. Boobs went rock hard ... On day 3 of attempting to express I said No More! I asked my obs for the pill to stop my milk.. It was the most herendis pain .. My boobs went red shiny .. I thought they were going to explode !!! My back was killing me!!! My boobs were killing me !! I did some googling and did a few things to try n help stop the milk.. Probably a good week later.. They finally eased up!!! I couldn't sleep the pain was terriable !!! But I got through it.. Watching all those mum with babies in special care ... Was more painful to watch . I on the other hand didn't have that extra stress if BF..I'm also preg with #3 & my plan is to ff from day dot.. Already told my obs. He didn't seem to happy about my choice but will be mentioning it again as time gets closer . Also I'll find out what hospital procedure is .. Not fussed bring in my own formula & bottles.. All part if the baby process .. Dd 1, had Hinze, no probe. Dd2 had Nan ha gold, then I changed to Nan Pro a few months later... Havnt decided which formula to use yet.. But I'll be using Tommie tippie closer to nature bottles, used from dd2.. Ff still has its ups & downs too.. But I still found it less stressful & easier to manage..
    All the best xxx