+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Night waking advice please...

DS is 9 months and will maybe sleep through twice a week (sometimes more and sometimes less).

Lately, I have noticed a pattern, he is waking around 11 for a bottle and then again around 3 (both of these times are give or take an hour).

When he wakes I think we have gotten into the habit of giving him a small 100ml bottle to get him back to sleep.

I really don't think he needs the feed, he eats 3 meals and 4 bottles during the day.

He is very insistent and won't take his dummy at these wakings and pushes away my hand if I try to pat or stroke his forehead.

How can I wean him from these night bottles? Should I worry about it or just continue with it? Is is something he is likely to grow out of?

Any tips appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If a small bottle is what gets him back to sleep, I would probably just continue with it, at least until he is 12ish months. If you really want to wean him from that 3am one you could perhaps try reducing the amount slowly over a period of a couple of weeks? Most babies I think will eventually drop those night feeds in their own time. I had one that woke frequently and had to bf to resettle, so I had to actively wean, but at 9 months if he was only waking twice I would have just fed him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would he take a bottle of sugar water instead? I've done this with DD a couple of times when she has regressed with her sleeping. I don't mind the 4am bottle she insists on but if she won't settle back to sleep before that the water helps, and after a day or two she doesn't wake for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for the replies!

I think I'll reducing and/or trying water. It's funny he wakes around 11 because it's only a few hours since he has eaten dinner and had a 200ml bottle. I might try water with that feed first and see how it goes.

It doesn't really worry me but I just felt it was more habit rather than need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD is 11 mo and wakes around 11 and 3 for a feed. It doesnt bother me as she feeds and goes straight back to sleep. I havent attempted to substitute water of whatever as I dont think she will have a bar of it. Thing is she settles quickly and has a good feed as well and I think she probably does need it in some way.

I totally believe she will grow out of it...she is still only little and her stomach is still small so for me its something I will continue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We helped DD to drop one of her two night feeds around 10-11mths as i was rerurning to uni and needed some extra sleep to function effectively. My husband got up to her for a week or two and rocked/patted her back to sleep until she stopped expecting a feed at 11ish. I found that if i went in to her she would want a feed, but if DH went in she was resettled more easily (thpugh wasmt happy about it the first couple of nights).

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age my ds was doing the same so I replaced the bottle with patting him back to sleep. After a couple of nights he didn't wake. Please don't replace the bottle with sugar water like a pp suggested- really bad for developing teeth. Goodluck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    DD is 11 mo and wakes around 11 and 3 for a feed. It doesnt bother me as she feeds and goes straight back to sleep. I havent attempted to substitute water of whatever as I dont think she will have a bar of it. Thing is she settles quickly and has a good feed as well and I think she probably does need it in some way.

I totally believe she will grow out of it...she is still only little and her stomach is still small so for me its something I will continue.
    ^ This exactly.

DD is only 7.5 months though. Sometimes she only will wake once if I'm lucky, which is usually when she drank more during the day and I can't force feed her in the day, so I know she NEEDS the feeds and it's not habit yet.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Night waking advice please...

My 9 mth old wakes religiously at 4 am for a feed, I thought it was habit too but after having a go at extending her to a 5 am feed decided it's not worth it. She will sort herself out eventually.