Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    sorry, just realised how small that photo is :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Wanna start a vegie patch!!!

Cool! I'm going to get a hessian sack to do potatoes next week u have inspired me! Didn't think of garlic, might give that a go too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Garlic is really easy, It just takes a very long time so be prepared for that. Same with leeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yeah was thinking I might put them in early ready for winter. Mmmmm potato and leek soup.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to waitinghoping For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes, DH really wants me to try garlic as he uses it in every meal he cooks!

as for wilting leaves.. I planted some cherry tomato seedlings 2 days ago and now all the leaves have wilted??
    do you think it is just because i have transplanted them like a previous post said? or is this normal?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by troopingfairy View Post
    Toonzie and Tildy - with potatoes, can I just use a potato which has sprouted? Does the whole potato go in the soil and how do they grow from there? vine/plant ect Potatoes would really benefit in our garden!!
    Yes, though I recommend using seed potatoes, sprouting ones are fine!

I got a cheap potato grow bag from bunnings and potting soil. Put a bit of potting soil in the bottom (about 3 inches or so) then cut your sprouting potato into four. Space them apart and add six inches of potting soil. Water daily and add more soil each time you see shoots at the top (this is called hilling I think). Once the soil reaches the top of the bag just water daily. They are lovely plants! When they begin to die back just let them and when dead you can harvest the potatoes. We plant ours in September and they are just now dying back so spuds aren't far off!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by troopingfairy View Post
    Waitinghoping, we have an irish wolfhound x shepherd so she is quite big though has stopped growing as the shepherd in her has stunted her growth. She could probably walk over the fence I have in place if she wanted to, though she seems deterred enough to stay out. She has only tried digging the one hole at the front of the fencing and I have had it in place for a few weeks now so it seems to be mostly working so far. Just means I have to go out every morning and check everything.

Attachment 29434
    It's only a small veggie patch atm but I have enough space to add another small raised beds in there still.

At the left hand side in the photo (hopefully the photo has worked, lol) is the valencia orange tree, the pink bed has 3 cherry tomato seedlings in it, there's a small potted chilli in front of that bed. In the blue bed is a tomato and a capsicum plant with basil and cos lettuce and there is also a guava tree in front of that. I have some garlic chives and rosemary growing in pots at the front of the actual fence too to help deter hole-digging..

I am planning on starting the potato sack up possibly next week, along with garlic... I'm still researching this one but from what I have so far, both of these are meant to be the easiest to grow!

With garlic, you plant a clove and it grows from that Can't be easier.. well.. I'll see what I can get out of it anyway lol
    Your patch looks cute!

Thanks
    Reviews

For the renters, I am attaching some photos from my patch as I also rent. We put two small raised beds on the lawn lol fig we will replant the grass haha. Our landlord is also very laid back!!!

I also use pots and growing thing in hanging baskets and some upside down! Photos always post small, but if you're using your phone just zoom in on them

For my pumpkins squash and zuc I plant miniature varieties and trellis them to grow up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay.. Here is a photo of the cherry tomato seedlings I have recently planted.. Can anyone tell me if it's normal for wilted leaves when I have just re-planted them? Do you think they will come good? Or are they dying?

photo 1(5).jpg
    The middle plant isn't doing too bad atm, it's the one of the far left and the one to the right that I am concerned about..

and with this one.. This is my established tomato plant in a different container.. The biggest tomatoes are as thick as my my fingers are long.. even though they are still green, Should I leave them for longer? Or can I harvest them now and leave them to ripen on a windowsill?
    photo 2(5).jpg

Also.. I have found several little green grasshoppers on my flowering plants, fruit trees and veggies over the last few days.. Should I spray my plants

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your wilted tomatoes do look quite sad and its probably a combination of transplanting and the warm weather. Keep the water up to them and they may still come good. Maybe even shade them a little more than usual till they perk up. You could also try liquid fertiliser like seasol or charlie carp just to give them a boost and help them settle in but only put that on at dusk as sun + fertiliser = burnt leaves quickly.

You are better off letting your tomatoes get a little more colour before you pick them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (01-01-2013)