+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The spinach is probably wilted because it has just been planted. Keep the water up to it in the morning and night and it will come good. Everytime you replant a plant, you disturb its root system and stress it out so it needs time to recover.

As for keeping away pests. You can go the chemical insecticides. More natural options are pyrethrum which comes from a plant. My mum also used to mix chilli, garlic and slightly soapy water together in a spray bottle and used that to spray on the plants to keep the bugs at bay. It also depends on what is eating your plants.Putting fine netting over the top might keep larger bugs like grasshoppers at bay.
    Last edited by Tildy; 28-12-2012 at 23:14.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

babynomad  (29-12-2012),troopingfairy  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    The spinach is probably wilted because it has just been planted. Keep the water up to it in the morning and night and it will come good. Everytime you replant a plant, you disturb its root system and stress it out so it needs time to recover.

As for keeping away pests. You can go the chemical insecticides. More natural options are pyrethrum which comes from a plant. My mum also used to mix chilli, garlic and slightly soapy water together in a spray bottle and used that to spray on the plants to keep the bugs at bay. It also depends on what is eating your plants.Putting fine netting over the top might keep larger bugs like grasshoppers at bay.
    Thank you very much tildy !

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wanna start a vegie patch!!!

Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Ooh subbing to this thread!

I have re-planted my veggie patch (didn't have anything in during winter as we were living away). Got cherry toms and Lebanese eggplant which have self seeded. Added snow peas, watermelon, rockmelon and pumpkins (cucumbers died), got strawberries in a pot. Some of my herbs got burnt off in the heat

Im loving all the tips and hints! Have ques tho:

1. Potatoes - what sort of bag do u put them in?
    2. Companion planting (particularly herbs) do u keep the herbs in pots and just put the pots near the other plants?

Thanks!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waitinghoping View Post
    Ooh subbing to this thread!

I have re-planted my veggie patch (didn't have anything in during winter as we were living away). Got cherry toms and Lebanese eggplant which have self seeded. Added snow peas, watermelon, rockmelon and pumpkins (cucumbers died), got strawberries in a pot. Some of my herbs got burnt off in the heat

Im loving all the tips and hints! Have ques tho:

1. Potatoes - what sort of bag do u put them in?
    2. Companion planting (particularly herbs) do u keep the herbs in pots and just put the pots near the other plants?

Thanks!!!

For potatoes a hessian sack is the cheapest and easiest. You put two sacks (one inside the other) and roll them down to about 30cm high. Then as the plant grows you add soil to the top of the bag leaving the top leaves exposed then unroll the bag a bit. You gradually add more soil and unroll the bag till the whole thing is full. Doing it this way gives you tons more potatoes than just planting them in the ground. Some people use car tyres but they can leach cadmium into the soil that can cause cancer and spuds are great at sucking up cadmium.

As for companion planting, its basically having the plants next to each other that is supposed to give the benefit. Look for a book called Companion Planting by Brenda Little. Its cheap and can explain things much better than I since I am still reading the book myself.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (31-12-2012),waitinghoping  (29-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re : the potatoes in a heshian sack - Bunnings sell the heshian potato sacks for $7 and they are a great size! They are like a rectangle in size (the one that I got)

I have built a makeshift fence of plastic netting and stakes around the veggies and fruit trees.. the dog has stayed away since i did it, though this morning there is an attempted hole near the guava tree i don't know what else i can do to deter her.. we have sprayed around veggies and fruit trees with citronella, made sure that no blood and bone is anywhere near the surface of the soil, put pepper around the base of the plants, put onion (she doesn't eat it - she hates the smell) and even sprinkled some spice at the base of the trees ... am running out of ideas..

I will take a photo and show you what I am growing at the moment Most of my herbs aren't in the fenced off area as i leave them on the patio so they get some shade during the hottest part of the day - i have found the sun scorches them otherwise..

Thanks
    Reviews

Great about the hessian bag, that was going to be my next ques!!

We have fenced our dog out too. Loves to dig too much. What sort of dog?

Might be worth seeing if there's any plants they don't like and plant them there, good idea on the onions.

Oh yes pics of ur veggie patches would be great I love getting ideas!! Will post a pic of mine when I'm back home in a week

12. The Following User Says Thank You to waitinghoping For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (31-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Waitinghoping, we have an irish wolfhound x shepherd so she is quite big though has stopped growing as the shepherd in her has stunted her growth. She could probably walk over the fence I have in place if she wanted to, though she seems deterred enough to stay out. She has only tried digging the one hole at the front of the fencing and I have had it in place for a few weeks now so it seems to be mostly working so far. Just means I have to go out every morning and check everything.

garden.jpg
    It's only a small veggie patch atm but I have enough space to add another small raised beds in there still.

At the left hand side in the photo (hopefully the photo has worked, lol) is the valencia orange tree, the pink bed has 3 cherry tomato seedlings in it, there's a small potted chilli in front of that bed. In the blue bed is a tomato and a capsicum plant with basil and cos lettuce and there is also a guava tree in front of that. I have some garlic chives and rosemary growing in pots at the front of the actual fence too to help deter hole-digging..

I am planning on starting the potato sack up possibly next week, along with garlic... I'm still researching this one but from what I have so far, both of these are meant to be the easiest to grow!

With garlic, you plant a clove and it grows from that Can't be easier.. well.. I'll see what I can get out of it anyway lol