+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Wanna start a vegie patch!!!

I want to give it a go anyway (vegies/herbs)

So pretend you're writing a book called "Gardening for Dummies" how would I go about getting started? What would I need? How would I combat pests?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well, we are kinda of novices as well (DH and I) but ours is going well.

Where abouts are you putting them? If you can, have raised patches. Bugs, snails and weeds are a big issue. We don't have raised ones at the moment but after our summer crop is done we will.

We did try heriloom seeds and it took ages and we had issues. We now use Bunnings seedlings (just to get our heads around what grows well here) and they have gone crazy! We also managed to get heirloom tomatoes so were pretty happy.

We got a nice compost/ fertlized soil mix from a local garden place. It was about $150 for the lot.

We just make sure it gets a little water each day, we have had to use snail pellets as they were eating everything but apart from that, they are going great with a good dose of worm wee and Seasol. I can see we will have an overupply of Cos lettuce as they grown super quick and all at once obviously.

I would go to a garden shop and see what you can plant in your region, how much space you need between each seeling and then plan your garden. You will also need a spot that gets a fair bit of sunshine so keep an eye on now the spot you have planned and how much sun it gets.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing.

And nice to see you back Des!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks SPG

Ok so any particular veg that are super easy? I take it by your post that cos lettuce is...what about things like garlic, onion, carrots?

Do you know of anything that can be planted side by side that would ward of pests?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing! We have just planted some herbs and strawberries into pots on Thursday. I have 2 raised garden beds to put up which I think we will do after we get back from our holiday, I have a good looking app called gardenate which tells you according to your climate what to plant how and when so I'm using that though it didn't tell me I could do strawberries but I did them anyway

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    corn, tomatoes and pumpkin are super easy

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think when you are just starting off it's good to start with the easy to grow, easy to care for so that you get some success the first time around and then you can be more adventurous after that iykwim!
    Cherry toms are pretty pest resilient - we have heaps and heaps at the moment, cucumbers are also easy for beginners and are easy to look after, and strawbs too. Try some shallots, some basil (mmmm, pesto ) and we've just planted some watermelon too! Last year these were really successful in pur tiny little plot!
    Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've just been through our first year with a vegie garden! DH prepped our garden bed last year with a bag of manure and some dynamic lifter, dug it all into the soil with a pitchfork, then put sugarcane mulch on top a few inches thick (which helped keep things weed free).

We picked out seed packets and planted half a dozen of each (for the current season according to packet instructions) in small tubs. Once the seedlings were up we transplanted them to the bed.

We planted corn, zucchini, beans, spring onion, strawberries and carrot in spring, then cauliflower, broccoli, peas and brussel sprouts in autumn/winter.

We weren't sure how much would grow successfully and what sort of crop size we'd get (or want) so this first year was just an experiment to see how things went. We havent had many pests, but a pyrethrum (spelling?) spray helped with small bugs.

We should have planted way more corn (planted 8, plus it got these huge grubs eating it), only needed 1-2 zucchini plants for our little family, could easily do more beans (had 8 climbing up the shed wall), carrot never took off (our ground was too stony so will do in pots next time), spring onion was hit and miss, strawberries are AMAZING this year now they are established, cauli were great (and since then I've heard you can grow year round), broccoli has taken twice the expected time to finally sprout a head(!?) and hope to pick our first in a few weeks, brussel sprouts might finally be budding too, and the peas were a bit ho hum (very small crop for 7 plants).

In hindsight I probably should have prepped the soil again with more manure/lifter before the autumn/winter planting. I did start using a liquid fertiliser mixed with water every few weeks during winter which I think pushed things along (and sent the strawberry plants wild!)

Anyway, in our second year now and after prepping soil and planting the corn, zucchini and beans are finally underway! Put some lebanese eggplant seedlings in, some sunflowers, more cauli, and still waiting for half a dozen Broccoli to get their act together.

I know there are some veg that grow well together (been told to plant tomato next to corn when its 30cm to act as a trellis!) but google can probably help you best there.

Only other thing I can think of right now is that morning sun is the best! No sign of the sunflowers I planted that get sun from 11am onwards, but in the main vegie bed which gets sun from 7am they are now 3 inches tall.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kochanski For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (01-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So does the garden have to be 'raised'? And is it always better start with seedlings first when you're starting out? I'm thinking I might start with a couple of things just to see how it goes. As you can see I am so not a gardner!! LOL I'm thinking perhaps strawberries and lettuce to start off with?

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Our beds aren't raised, and yes, we did start with seedlings first. I do have some cherry toms in pots but also have twice as many more just in the ground, and we have cucumbers and watermelon just in normal garden beds, not raised. We did bring soil in though as we are coastal and it's a mixture of sand and clay here otherwise. My cos are in pots and I have strawbs in both pots and just in a normal garden beds. I don't know if you want to try fruit but we planted a lychee tree thebyear before last and had tremendous success with fruit last Xmas - doesn't look quite as good this year though for some reason.