+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think everyone, pregnant or not, is free to eat or not eat whatever they want without having to explain to anyone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (15-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yup. My father in law couldn't believe that I would not eat pork chops that were a day passed their used by date. His response was "but it's been refrigerated!" Thankfully my husband lept to my defense, saying that I had done all my research and am following the recommended guidelines and eating food that is past it's used by date is a big no no.

it just flawed me that he would think I'd take the risk after loosing 4 babies to mc. They even had a stillborn son in the early 70's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mousky View Post
    Yup. My father in law couldn't believe that I would not eat pork chops that were a day passed their used by date. His response was "but it's been refrigerated!" Thankfully my husband lept to my defense, saying that I had done all my research and am following the recommended guidelines and eating food that is past it's used by date is a big no no.

it just flawed me that he would think I'd take the risk after loosing 4 babies to mc. They even had a stillborn son in the early 70's.
    I wouldn't eat meat past its used by date even if I wasn't pregnant! Particularly not if its the supermarket neat as thats usually been hanging around waaaay too long as it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mean to derail but I think people in general can be intolerant to anyone that steps out of an "eat anything" mindset. I was careful (not always strict) when pregnant and no one seemed to mind too much, you're doing it for the baby kind of mindset. But when I got diagnosed with food intolerances it was a complete different story. I never ask for different meals, I just find what I can eat and do that and leave the other stuff but I've had people comment that they can't "accommodate my requirements" which is hilarious because I've never asked anyone to, I don't even mention it, I just eat around it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wasn't hugely cautious, but I drew the line at cold roast chicken & sushi. And relaxed on other thibgs as my pregnancy went on. (So while i didnt eat prepared salads, cold meats, deli foods etc early on i did later in pregnancy.

But i copped from my grandma that they ate whatever blah blah blah all these silly new rules blah blah blah. Because her house and kitchen are filthy id gently decline anything but freshly cooked and piping hot. Seeing as she thinks week old roast chicken is still good. Eek!

I took it Politely though. I was going to point out back then babies died for "no reason" in utero but my grandma miscarried late term so saying so would have been cruel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Took the judgement not the food. I just agreed but didn't eat it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I don't think anyone has ever commented to my pregnant self on what I am eating at the time. That might be because 1. my family probably have no idea what the "current" food restrictions/guidelines are and 2. I look scary when I'm hungry and pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know I steer clear of places with funky latex gloved people digging around in troughs of fake processed meat and then diving into the vege bins. But then that is the case for me pregnant or not
    this pregnancy has taken a lot to happen and I think I can cope without my pate and Camembert with a cider for a few months, as tragic as it is.
    I wouldn't be concerned about the opinions of people who are rude enough to judge you for what you believe in and choose to do anyway. Obviously they think they are very important so I don't think you not paying mind to them is going to do the much harm..believe in yourself and your choices and enjoy your pregnancy and feel safe.
    i get all kinds of grief on a daily basis as my diet is OTT for most around me. I don't eat processed/manufactured food, I don't drink any cordials or soft drinks, yet the people around me live on this as normal food. I have no issue with what they eat, but I won't compromise my health so they feel happier because I eat it. My teenage son cops it even worse, but he knows the consequences of eating rubbish and he just knows it isn't worth feeling yuk or having his skin flare up just to keep someone else happy.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Without reading the rest of the responses... People will judge you for every little thing you do as a parent. Don't feel like they're judging you. KNOW it. And then blow them a big, fat, sloppy cause it's none of their business! *chuckle*.

You're a great mama, vent away. I avoided some stuff but not others. And do I care what other people think? Not a jot! I did the first time and I realised after that that it really wasn't worth the brain space to stress about what other people think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try not to even worry about what they think and just do what feels right for you. I am 11 weeks pregnant and recovering from the worst food poisoning ever. Thankfully it wasn't anything as serious as listeria. During the week I had 2 days of intense stomach pain and vomiting that only a maxalon injection stopped, followed by another 3 days of stomach cramping and nausea. My stomach is still so sensitive I'm not back to my normal diet. Not completely sure what caused it, I had a Japanese BBQ buffet 2 days earlier, hungry jacks earlier that day and a dodgy avocado that tasted foul that night, but it could possibly have been the takeaway. Before that I was pretty relaxed about what I ate, sushi, subway, maccas, hungry jacks, but now after this scare I'm definitely going to be more strict. It's much better to be safe than sorry. At the end of the day you're doing the right thing for baby and that's all that matters!