+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Good on you for sticking to your guns and eating carefully. I copped that alot with my first pregnancy. I explained it a few times and then gave up and just said " I want a healthy baby" Very hard for people to say much to that. Keep up the good work. This time around people arent saying anything as they know how strongly I feel about it. My Mum is fantastic! For my first she didnt know about any of it but was extremely supportive and this time around is aware so is even more supportive and careful with what food she offers me. She even defends my choices to others. Hubby is super cautious and even reminds me when I get a little slack. Maybe you could have your hubby have a word to his mum and sister to leave you be.
    As others have said this is just the beginning of peoples comments and judgements on what you do with your child. Stay strong to what choices you make and never let anyone make you doubt your choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can only speak for myself but I think sometimes the eye rolls stem from the fact that people seem to think listeria and food poisoning are the same thing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

babycake  (15-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I got that all the time too, and I found it very frustrating to have to justify trying to keep my baby safe. Next time I think I'm just going to say that those foods turn my stomach, nobody will judge the desire to not puke on their shoes

Thanks
    Reviews
    My grandmother made a very interesting point when I was pregnant. She started to say that although they just ate whatever was available when pregnant back then when women or babies had medical issues no one knew why and blamed it on chance. We had an interesting discussion about research that is available now and the risks we now know about and can avoid.

Sorry... A bit off topic but I always talked about the research when I was pregnant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I had people eye rolling etc when I was careful what I ate when pregnant with DD. But it was 100% worth it when they had a massive recall of the brand of feta that I regularly bought (pre-pregnancy!) because it was contaminated with listeria.

Listeria is rare but does happen and has such serious consequences for the baby, it wasn't a risk I was willing to take.

I was kinda used to it though because I'm vegetarian and get heaps of eye rolling because of that too. I never let my food choices affect anyone else (I don't say we can't go to a certain restaurant or whatever), so I don't really know why they care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been watching what I eat whilst pregnant, being very strict. No subway, no takeaway foods, no cold meats etc.

I have been judged by the MIL, my mother, and work colleagues, who really give me a serve about being careful.

It took my husband and I 2.5 years to fall pregnant, so I figure I am going to do the best by my baby.

Don't feel like you have to explain yourself to anyone. It's your decision.

However, I've got about 9 weeks to go and can't wait to have a ham sandwich or chicken loaf and chutney sandwich...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    I think you'll find that the women who react like this are secretly feeling guilty what they did or didn't do while they were pregnant. They're probably worried that you will judge them so they act all superior and knowing with you to try to counteract that.
    No, I'd say they probably just think you're being OTT.

But that's fine. People have different levels of what they think is safe and what isn't. I wouldn't eat raw seafood, or excessive amounts of tuna, but that's really all I did. I thought (and still think) that anything beyond that is unnecessary... but that's my choice for myself. It's nothnig to do with guilt, more thinking others are OTT.

That's cool though, because others are sure to think I'm reckless and uncaring or something for not caring about listeria.

OP - get used to the judgement. You will cop it endlessly throughout your time being a parent. So just use this as a learning experience... this is just hte start of it, and it'll continue forevermore so you might as well just go, "Meh," to what everyone else thinks and do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just turn my nose up an go "yep thy will make me puke"

Fake a good aversion when you're sick of explaining.

"I'm totally craving a jam sandwich"

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

OP - get used to the judgement. You will cop it endlessly throughout your time being a parent. So just use this as a learning experience... this is just hte start of it, and it'll continue forevermore so you might as well just go, "Meh," to what everyone else thinks and do whatever you feel comfortable with.

I don't get why you would eat one thing but not another all high risk listeria foods are high risk. Pre prepared salad is just as risky as a cold chicken for listeria.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Astraamy View Post
    I just turn my nose up an go "yep thy will make me puke"

Fake a good aversion when you're sick of explaining.

"I'm totally craving a jam sandwich"
    A good idea!