+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to single sex school and i had problems socilaizing with boys back then. I felt as if i dont know how to make friends with them. Although i dont have problems communicating with males now but i still feel awkward sometimes and i do not have any male friends. I was also in a relationship with a man who was 20years older than me (i was 14 at the time), now thinking back i blam it on the fact that i had no contact with boys my age and little interaction with males makes me want to explore more and not realizing that they were just taking advantage of me.

So i will noy be sending my kids to single sex school. But in saying that, a lot of people, most of my friends didnt have any problems

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow road View Post
    I went to an all girls school (your DSs sister school if I am correctly remembering where you're sending him) and I was terrible at interacting with guys until I was at Uni, don't think it had anything to do with school and was more to do wit the fact that I generally get along better with girls than guys.
    Meriden is the sister school I think and they do socials with MLC and Danebank too so no shortage of girls!
    One of the reasons DH wants him to go there is that he said his entire year 11 and 12 was all about socializing and girls and no one did any school work! ( he went to local public school which still has a bad reputation)
    i also think your family life comes into it as well, DS has 5 older female cousins and 1 less than a year younger than him and we are all very close so the poor dude is surrounded by girls!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wish I'd gone to a single sex school. I was bullied from Preschool to year 12 by boys for pretty much everything under the sun (being tall, having glasses, being smart, cr@p at sports, being a prefect etc) with it dying off in year 11 and 12 as I'd chosen subjects for the academically strong so were with a group of similar people and mainly girls. I then went and lived at an all girls college for my uni years and loved it as everyone was really supportive of each others achievements and being all rounded/strong in any sort of area was really valued. I lived with heaps of girls there that had come from all-girls schools and they were very confident in themselves and with other people.

But I think that some of my reasons could also warrant choosing a private, smaller school which tends to go hand in hand with the single sex schools.

Most public schools zero tolerance bullying/anything policy seems to be not worth the piece of paper its written on, so perhaps look into schools that fit with your values/what you want to school to do for your family and then if it happens to be a single sex school go for it and if its a co-ed then so be it

I remember reading something about some schools in Asia that are co-ed but have single sex classes for all or just some subjects and that seemed to work really well as well.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went to a same-sex school and had massive issues interacting with males. They were like an alien species to me.

In the town I grew up, there was one same sex boys school and you could pick who went there immediately. Very awkward around girls and sex-obsessed for some reason...and really immature. I'm not sure if it was just *that* school, but it was very, very obvious. Because of my experience with boys who went there, I will never send my sons to a same-sex school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    DH and I went to co-ed high schools and I loved having males who were my best mates and dh has always been confident around women. I wasn't particularly sporty, but had a very strong social group that was 50/50 girls and boys. I really noticed when I started uni the people who'd gone to same sex schools seemed to stand out and had no idea how to behave around the opposite sex. They got it after a while, but lots of awkward behaviours leading up to that point!

DH and I are strong supporters of public schools and would dearly love to send our kids to a public senior school but the local one to us hasn't got a good reputation. We'll probably send our girls to an all girls school and our son to a co-ed school if we have to go that way.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Meriden is the sister school I think and they do socials with MLC and Danebank too so no shortage of girls!
    One of the reasons DH wants him to go there is that he said his entire year 11 and 12 was all about socializing and girls and no one did any school work! ( he went to local public school which still has a bad reputation)
    i also think your family life comes into it as well, DS has 5 older female cousins and 1 less than a year younger than him and we are all very close so the poor dude is surrounded by girls!
    Yes I went to Meriden

Family life does make a difference too I think, definitely!! From my experience, we had a lot of interaction with our bro school, social dances a lot, lots of social sport comps, debating challenges...

I am sure he will be okay, I tend to find it really depends more on the person than the environment IME.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    .....the people who'd gone to same sex schools seemed to stand out and had no idea how to behave around the opposite sex. They got it after a while, but lots of awkward behaviours leading up to that point!
    This was my experience too!
    I went to a co-ed Catholic primary, then an all girls 7-10. We had a brother school but really had nothing to do with them as far as interactions go. These schools then fed into the Catholic 11-12 together. I decided (as I didn't want to waste time on religion during the HSC) to go instead to a public school for years 11-12. The difference in behaviours in these kids with their other sex peers to the behaviour of all my old friends finally coming together in a co-ed school was amazing. At the co-ed public school everyone just got along with everyone, they were all treated the same regardless of gender, and there were no hang ups about flirting, boyfriends, girlfriends etc. It was all so 'normal'. Yet when I met up with friends from my old school it was all hysterical "OMG HE LOOKED AT ME IN MATHS THIS MORNING DO YOU THINK HE LIKES ME!!!!!!". It was really over the top and ridiculous. I mean sure they all caught up eventually but I thought that it was bad timing for that due to more intense study in 11 and 12, similarly if it wasn't until uni that they all come out of their single sex environments, I'm not sure that during uni studies is the best time for that.

Oh and as for me personally I was shy and awkward with everyone LOL. But it was certainly noticeable in all the other more social kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think something that helps teenagers get that social interaction and form opposite sex friendships, if attending a same-sex school, is having a part-time job. I worked at the local supermarket and it was a real social thing for all the teenagers who worked there. The same for the kids who worked at Maccas, etc. It also of course teaches kids about work, responsibility and the value of money. I found it complemented the same-sex education well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I switched from a private co-ed highschool to a public co-ed school for year 11 and 12. There were a lot of boys that attended who had switched from a to there from a private all boys school and there was no difference between their social interactions with girls than the boys from co-ed schools. If someone is going to be awkward around the opposite sex then its just the way they are, only time and practice will change that. Socially confident kids develop well in either same sex or co-ed in my opinion.

Ours will go to a single sex school, its a great school with a curriculum tailored to appeal to boys, and a lot of interaction with a sister school.

And for what its worth, the girls I knew who went to a same sex school had noooo problem interacting with boys either. But maybe I just know very confident people...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by BubbleGuppy; 15-10-2012 at 10:56.