+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I make veggie chips for my fussy nieces - just slice lengthways with a potato peeler in thin slices , sweet potato, parsnip, carrot and beetroot - put on baking tray in 180 oven with a spray of olive oil and you have chips!
    Does he like fried rice? Or corn on the cob? Or raw carrot or cucumber sticks as dippers for tzatiki or guacamole? or my DS loves fresh raw peas as an afternoon snack - maybe don't always make them
    em part of dinner as he will expect that?

Also it's easy to add a bunch of baby spinach leaves to a berry smoothie , the red/purple colour of the berries hides the green
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 14-10-2012 at 12:33.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

MummyBic  (15-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm currently trying lots of recipes from a book called veggie smugglers. So far every recipe I've tried is a big hit with my two boys. And me and my husband! They are yum! It's by Wendy Bloom.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsmamma View Post
    I'm currently trying lots of recipes from a book called veggie smugglers. So far every recipe I've tried is a big hit with my two boys. And me and my husband! They are yum! It's by Wendy Bloom.
    Oh and she has a blog and a facebook page. She's great

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (14-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Would zucchini slice work?

I love that lol...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Also it's easy to add a bunch of baby spinach leaves to a berry smoothie , the red/purple colour of the berries hides the green

I agree with this. Have you tried making green smoothies? My kid love banana, mixed berries and spinach smoothies. They have no idea there is spinach in them though
    I finely diced vegies for fried rice and my DS who hates just about every food in existence, especially vegetables will happily eat it.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah vegie smugglers is great, some really yum recipes in there.

But as PP said, don't stress too much and make sure you keep offering recognisable veggies too- DS went through a patch for a few months of refusing all veggies, now he'll happily eat peas, mushrooms, carrots, pumpkin, capsicum, corn, spinach (only cooked and in something, but he'll eat it happily knowing what it is) and tonight he ate his beans at dinner. He will even occasionally eat something leafy and green

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have ordered the book deceptively delicious so hopefully it arrives soon.

I made Pirates Treasures (pastry filled with mince and pureed vegies) last night and ate one of those but none of the vegies I had put with it, so I am hoping that it had enough goodies in there for him.

I know it is just a phase but a Mummy cant help but worry that he isnt getting all the vitamins etc that he needs. That is why I thought I would ask other Mummys if they know of any little tricks to hiding vegies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    You could puree some cauliflower to add to the mashed potato.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I put cauliflower, white kumura and peeled zucchini in his mash. I know the best bit is the skin but its better than nothing. I also steam and purée broccoli and spinach and stir it through his pesto. He loooooves pesto. I hide vegies in everything. The only ones he will eat on his plate are mash, broccoli (tiny bit) sometimes corn. But I've always chopped ot grated veggies through most of my meals anyway so it's no different to normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I make vegies into a pasta sauce for my DD2. Take a selection of veges you wish to use. (I often use greens for this - brussel sprouts, celery, leek, spring onion etc) saute in a pan with a little oil and garlic til softened. Puree till quite fine in a food processor with a touch of milk/water til it is very fine. Then make a basic white sauce and add the puree to the white sauce. Cook up some pasta, add a little cooked chicken, stir through the vege/white sauce mix, top with a little cheese and bake like a pasta bake. Yummo! And you would never know its full of veges.

My DD also like "baby pies" as she calls them. Basically a quiche - take a mini muffin/tart tray. Line each hole with a small round of pastry. Then mix around 5 eggs with 1/2 block of softened philly cheese. And add whatever else you like. I usually very finely dice veges as above and usually some chicken. Add veges/chicken to the egg mixture, then spoon egg mixture into pastry shell and bake for around 10-15 mins in a moderate oven.