+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Hidden vegetable recipes needed desperately

I'm hoping some other parents out there might be able help me I'm at my wits end .

My DS has decided after 2 years that he hates his vegies the only one he will eat now is mashed potato. I serve every meal he has with just a couple of vegies to try to get him to eat them but so far no luck. I will keep trying but in the mean time I am looking for recipes that I can hide vegies in. I make spaghetti bolognese with grated vegies through it and lasagne but I am stuck with other recipes. I need to be able to grate the vegies so he cant see them.

Someone might be able to help me with healthy recipes until we get through this faze.

TIA

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Chicken nuggets and sausage rolls are good for hiding veg. Try and get your hands on a copy of deceptively delicious - it's full of recipes

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Chicken and veg patties

I know it's not hidden, but maybe have him help you make pizza- he can munch on the raw veg while he's helping- just don't tell him it's good for him! (Make it a little bit naughty and he'll be wanting to do it for sure!) My boys have always liked veg raw, but wouldn't touch it cooked. I think they like the crunch?

Beef and bacon pasta bake

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhh I have a heap of ideas! Homemade pizzas (we just use store bought pizza bases and add our own toppings), you can grate carrot, zucchini etc in mini meatballs, homemade sausage rolls as PP said (I put chopped up beans, creamed corn, grated carrot in those), savoury muffins.
    I just googled recipes and even though DS is a lot less fussy now, I still make these things.

I also used to make avocado sandwiches for his lunch (just mash the avocado and use like a spread)!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I know it's not hidden, but maybe have him help you make pizza
    We chop capsicum, mushrooms, cherry tomatos really really small and they do hide pretty well under the cheese, DS never noticed them.

I just remembered another one - I made pizza scrolls with puff pastry and hid grated carrot, chopped capsicum and mushroom in those too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cub For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (14-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried making pizza with him didnt work Ive even diced various veges and told him they were lollies and all that has done is he wont eat any sort of lollies now even smarties cause he thinks they are the yucky lollies. As I said, it has to be well hidden so he doesnt see them at all. 3 months ago he would eat cups and cups of frozen vegies as he thought they were lollies and would eat all his cook vegies without a problem. I dont know whats happen

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Ok then puree what ever veg you have and add them to your meals. Meatballs, chicken/fish patties, quiche, curries, stews, rice, pastas anything really, you could also make green mash potato by add broccoli or yellow by add pumpkin etc..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    ohh fritters are great too, especially creamed corn based ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Jessica Seinfeld has a cookbook called 'Deceptively Delicious' and its all about recipes with hidden veg and its awesome.

I make Cheesy Macaroni so its a cheese sauce with pureed pumpkin through it. And the kisd love it! The pumpkin makes it a little orange but they dont notice.

I have also made the brownies with spinach and you seriously wouldnt know there is spinach in it.

Basically the premise is...make your meals however you normally would but when you use pureed veggies you just cant see it and the puree adds to the sauce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    These suggestions are great but tbh I wouldn't get too stressed about it. All my kids have gone through phases of going off foods and then will eat them again at a stage in the future. It's so frustrating but having just gone through it with no 3 you do tend to stress a little less.

I remember when Jessica Seinfeld released the book a lot of nutritionists said it was a nice idea but in reality the small portions eaten by most children mean they only get a tiny bit of vegetable anyway in a serve. I've always revved vegetables to my kids at dinner and they must have a taste. Sometimes they eat and sometimes they don't.

Des your DS still eat fruit? If so I wouldn't be too stressed.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Candiceo  (02-11-2012),Luna Lovegood  (15-10-2012)