+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pain or normal fussiness?

I feel like I should know this as a mum my 3 week old has just started evening crying for the last 4 days. She is generally a very contented baby and we sleep well. I don't know if it is just normal evening fussiness or if she is in pain from something. My best bet is tummy pain as she is a very gassy baby, and usually the crying ends up finishing with a big poo or a big vomit or both (she has vomiting issues that we are working on- they are getting less frequent and she is gaining weight well). She is exclusively breast fed. I have considered reflux or an intolerance to something I am eating but surely that would be after every feed not just once at night? The rest of the day she is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS suffered from ufiagnosed allergies/intolerances for a few months, it was awful. But in saying that, the vomiting would be constant, not just one period during the day.

Don't bubbas have a spurt at 3-4wks from memory? It could be related to that and the good old witching hour already starting?!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (13-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel bad for not knowing why your 3 week old is crying. Sometimes she doesn't know why she is crying, everything is still very new. Is she shifting to sleeping more at night and less in the day. It may simply be ooverload, ds1 used to get pretty over whelmed by the end of the day. Will she settle in a sling? Does she draw her knees up, that can be a sign of belly ache?

that said if you have any worries at all over her health get them checked out. No one will mind if it turns out to be wind.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pommiemum11 For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (13-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little bubba was the same, just at the end of the day when I'm tired and 3 year old dd needed putting to bed, my normally content baby would turn 'feral'.

He would cry and almost appear to be in pain, I worked out it was just an accumulation of wind building up through out the day and causing him discomfort by the end of the day. It was a bit if trial and error but I worked out I needed to stop his feed several times during each feed to burp him. Also just being overtired at the end of the day would contribute, I found if we had lots of visitors during a particular day he would be worse that night.

Hope your bubba settles for you soon, if in doubt, like PP said, get it checked out

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (13-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2 week old is quite similar in that he seems really bothered by gas pains in the evening sometimes, but not so much during the day. And it's not every evening either. But it definitely seems gas-related because he'll be quite settled then all of a sudden start a high pitched scream until he does a burp or little spitup then he settles again, then often repeats in 5 minutes for a while. Doesn't seem to be purely "colic"/behavioural but the fact it happens mainly at night confuses me a bit. I suspect there's a combination of gas pains and behavioural, in that he gets more distressed by the pain at night time, and is not as bothered by it during the day.

I don't know if that helps at all sorry, but just know you're not alone! We're using Infacol wind drops, I think they help. But sometimes I can't get any burps up at all so who knows?!?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like arsenic hour to me. I used to take DS out for a walk at about 5pm each night and that usually kept him happy, or at least happier. Hopefully you find something to make it a bit easier.