+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Facebook......

Sooooo.....
    I use facebook to share pics and the occasional status update and send messages to friends and usually use the 'grandma' test when posting stuff because i have people from work etc as friends.

Yet so many people on my newsfeed (and yes I know I can ignore it/unfriend them, I'm just curious) always seem to have posts like 'OMG she is a complete b!tch, cant believe she did that. not going to name names but they know who they are" or "scumbag ex hasn't paid child support again, he is a useless father/mother" and then 20 other people add their 2c to the argument and it becomes this hilarious mudslinging catfight between people that have nothing to do with the original post.

I'm just really curious as to if anyone puts posts up like that and why do they put up really intimate details of their personal lives/add comments to others?

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think for some people facebook is just a good way for them to vent and feel listened to iykwim... I used to be one of 'those' mothers who posted when my newborn farted, but I realised how seriously annoying it must have been to see status updates from me every 5 minutes gushing about how awesome my baby was... I guess I did it cause I had nothing better to do, was a new mum stuck at home alot and wanted to share my joy with others etc... These days I don't update my status too often, sometimes I will update if the kids are sick (usually a vent) or I will post something from the dalai lama cause I think he rocks but I am no longer a serial status updater

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

singlemumma82  (13-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I use my facebook to share my family stuff with my adult dd who lives in another state. I warn new friends so they know what they are getting and old ones must have figured that out by now.
    I don't swear on facebook etc and very few of my friends do... I have never had a facebook fight on my wall, so i must be super boring and friends super nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I post some pretty personal things on Facebook but I also have very high security, so some of the VERY personal stuff can only be seen by my close friends. I also only have people that I know IRL as friends therefore people that actually know me.

For me it is also good for when my depression is bad, I can put up a status for my close friends only of how I am struggling and not ignoring people without having to say as much and contact everyone individually. It's helped me reach out many times!

I personally hate the vague statuses that give nothing away but then when people ask its simple, 'oh I don't want to talk about it' ahhh so don't share it for everyone!!!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have people on my FB who swear a lot which really does grate on me, and one who will swear while informing all and sundry she has pms/her period etc. DH has a friend from work who posts about her (many many) sexual conquests, and I have a cousin who plays out some fairly ugly relationship and family dramas on her fb (always as a victim). I tend to just post pics of DD and funny stories of her antics, or share stupid things I have done. Occasionally I make a bit of a political statement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could it be used against you in court? Like if you we're posting stuff about the ex and he saw it, could he use it against you in the custody disagreements to say that your spreading stuff about him and damaging his reputation etc? That's what I'd be concerned about, you don't know who knows who these days....

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think people post intimate stuff because at the end of the day, people want to feel like they matter....people want to be listened to....people want someone to give a sh!t. For some, getting a 'like' on a photo or status makes them feel like someone gives a rats bum and makes them happy. I do think that alot of people in life just want to be listened to but nobody wants to listen.......Facebook is a way of saying something to mass amounts of people and (in most cases) get a response.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

singlemumma82  (13-10-2012),Trusty Chords  (15-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    In the same as you in this regard. Hate people posting how just just went to the toilet, how they are so bored they can't come up with a good status, how so and so without naming names is a first class deck (10 times a day), or OMG but don't want to talk about it.

Yes we get it.. (insert people I know who subject me to this torture) you are attention seekers who live in your own little fantasy world and think people don't know the truth.

I agree it is a good way to keep in touch with family and friends who live a distance away but when you are too lazy to get off your butt you have to FB someone in another room to make you a coffee.. Please don't feel the need to clog up our FB wall and then wonder why we block you or unfriend you or wonder why we don't go on FB often enough to see the birthday invitation for the birthday we missed that you couldn't be bothered to actually tell us about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is one person on my fb that puts up every single detail of her life, no matter how intimate. From the daily plans eg.
    Making breakfast
    Taking ds for a walk
    Going to spotlight
    Baking
    Then relaxing with the family

To..

I can't believe you can lay in bed with your new girlfriend at night all happy, little does she know we're still sleeping together.

No detail is left off facebook, it's ridiculous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaHan View Post
    There is one person on my fb that puts up every single detail of her life, no matter how intimate. From the daily plans eg.
    Making breakfast
    Taking ds for a walk
    Going to spotlight
    Baking
    Then relaxing with the family

To..

I can't believe you can lay in bed with your new girlfriend at night all happy, little does she know we're still sleeping together.

No detail is left off facebook, it's ridiculous.
    The daily plans stuff is meh. People are bored, attention seeking etc but its the other stuff (like what you mentioned) that I think whoa that is kinda inappropriate for a public forum. What prompted me to start the thread was a friend who (currently) has 40 comments going on a post she made about her kids deadbeat dad. 40 comments from people arguing with each other about whether or not he should be involved..... Seemed a bit whoa.... You know complain about the ex over coffee with the girls but not on fb where your 400+ friends can see it (along with his family and friends). I wouldn't like that if I was the ex (even if he does deserve it).