+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There are many studies saying watching telivision can be damaging for a child under 2. There are also many studies disproving the theory.

Basically everything you can think of you'll find some study saying it's good/bad.

My kids have always watched tv, and my now 3 year old is very clever and well and truly ahead for his age, so I'm not too concerned

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default TV at 19 months?

Last edited by MrsOhara; 18-04-2013 at 13:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had the tv on daily for background noise since my kids were born. 1 never watch it at all till 3 the other watched it all the time.
    They both like tv but don't watch it all day. They like to play outside and do craft, but tv is a wind down at night before bed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: TV at 19 months?

I've been reading a bit about it recently as I feel guilty with my 20 month old and abc 2 also! I think one of the main things for me is that while abc had some great stuff, once they are older, it's regular tv that is more age appropriate, and by that time they are in a habbit. I'm really trying to watch the hours and programs carefully so that when my ds is older tv will still be an occasional thing. I think the other concern is that the more tv time = less potential outdoor our reading time. In saying that, I'm 36 weeks and find the distraction of a toddler invaluable at the moment!!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default TV at 19 months?

You could have bigger issues. My DD (1) loves to watch Andre Reui. When she gets grumpy it's the only thing that makes her happy. I bought her 5th row tickets to his show next year.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (14-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default TV at 19 months?

I have read about the no tv before 2 rule and why they say this is the case.

I personally think that a little bit doesn't hurt. DS watches one or two, or sometimes on a crappy day, three episodes of Playschool or Night Garden a day. He also watches a bit when my dad looks after him. It allows me to have a shower in peace, cook dinner or just chill out on Facebook for a while.

He is awake for 12 hours a day, of those he spends 11 doing other exciting, interactive, imaginative things. I don't feel that one hour of watching something age appropriate is damaging him in the slightest. Although my childless SIL disagrees.

However, I have a friend who plonked her DD on the couch in front of Austar ALL DAY LONG from birth. She watched whatever mum watched - Dr Phil, Teen Mom, etc. My friend never spent time playing, taking her to the park, etc. THAT is damaging.

I totally respect those mums who do no tv before 2yo but honestly an hour a day of absolute peace is a godsend and I kind of think they're missing out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Duckduckgoose, childless SIL's must all be the same. Mine also is an expert on all things pregnancy and parenting related.

DS is 9 and watches about 2-3 hours per week. He likes Dr Who, so him n dad will often watch that on a Sunday evening. DD is 16 months, and watches maybe an 30 mins- 1hr per week.

I'm not a big one for TV, and we actually don't have the TV aerial connected. This means no one in the house can just flick on the box n channel surf until they find something appealing. It also stops the TV being used for background noise.

Personally I think that too much tv destroys a child's imagination, but in small doses it's ok. DD watches Chinese cartoons to help with her language, but with DS tv is usually a form of family bonding time, which I quite enjoy.

Im tired n pregnant too, so know how easy the tv is when I need a break. Sometimes I'll move DD's play pen in front of the screen to give me some time out.

I don't think it's a good idea to watch too much, but a little here and there is ok. Life is a lot easier if you don't have too many strict rules. An hour of tv isn't going to damage your baby too much. If it means you get some rest and keep your sanity I say go for it!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use the tv to distract DD1 long enough to put dd2 down for nap... and we watch the news of the afternoon together.

other than that not much... mainly cos in our new house we dont get abc2 at all and I use looney tunes DVDs for her. DD1 has no idea who the wiggles, Hi 5 or dora are... but she loves bugs bunny!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you're fine.

DD loved watching TV at that sort of age (still does now) and I think it's taught her a lot of things. She's always been ahead on things like talking, numbers, letters, etc. and I think a lot of it comes from Dora and Sesame Street!

As long as it's in moderation, they're playing imaginatively, getting lots of activity, and the TV isn't on all day, then I don't see a problem.

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Honestly, you do what you have to do to stay sane!

I know kids that were brought up with no tv at all and others who were brought up in a house where there are tvs on in every room, including the kids own rooms at bedtime. What difference have I seen in the kids intelligence/physical activity/imagination ... absolutely none!

So, I'm never worried about having the tv on. At this age, it is more a backgroung "check it out occasionally" thing anyway! It is not until they are much older that they have the concentration to sit still long enough to become engrossed.

FWIW ... I have two older children aged 10 and nearly 12. My nearly 12yo is the only child in her school to have gained a place in the state's gifted and talented education program for high school as young as she did. My 10yo is even brighter! They watched quite a bit of tv when they were little - mainly wiggles dvds etc, but it has not effected them adversely. They both have incredible imaginations and are talented story writers, both are physically very fit and are right on track BMI wise, neither could exist on a junk food diet and although my 10yo could sit down and watch tv for a few hours at a time, if I say no, it is never an issue. They are both pleasant children to be around and have some really lovely, close friends. They are also wonderful older siblings to their little sister.
    Last edited by Ky; 18-02-2013 at 01:53.