+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default TV at 19 months?

My toddler has recently starting watching Wiggles dvd, probably between 1/2 - 1 hour a day in the late afternoon while I'm pregnant & worn out.
    I have read before no TV before 2 yrs is recommended. I do worry a bit because she just seems so "absorbed" in it!
    What do you reckon - am I breaking her brain?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I hope not - DS watches TV daily, and he is only 11 months. I think as long as the shows are appropriate, it's not a problem. Wiggles would be fine, music, colours, dancing. Can you encourage your DD to be active, ie dance when the Wiggles do, or sing along, or whatever?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (13-10-2012),Wise Enough  (21-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know it's not ideal, but my 21 mo DS watches about an hour of TV in the afternoons (I'm pregnant and tired too!). I also watch an hour of news in the mornings, but he's usually roaring around with his trucks so doesn't really watch it then.

I worry about how absorbed he gets sometimes too, and he's started pointing at the TV saying 'toot-toot' (he watches thomas) when he wants it on! I don't think a little bit is going to do too much damage though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (13-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd is almost 11 mo and she loves the tv. The boys may have it on watching their cartoons and she will watch but not for long. I can't drag her away and put her in another room just 'cause the tv is on so I personally don't think it's detrimental. If it was all day everyday then yeah...probably not good but some tv everyday and appropriate tv? Well I can't see the harm.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (13-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say if it keeps him quiet and entertained for an hour or so and your get a nice rest GO FOR IT!
    my 20mo is not the least bit interested in tv and has never been, unless it's playschool - where she will stand there and dance to a few songs but that's it.
    Sometimes i WISH i could pop on a dvd just to get break while being pregnant but it just doesnt seem to amuse her much at all!!!!
    I'd just make sure it's age approprite and some what educational. If you don't do it 24/7 and use it as a babysitter, then i believe tv in modertion for a toddler is FINE!
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 13-10-2012 at 18:36.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunkamunka For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (13-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I could get DS to sit in one spot for 1/2 hour! But seriously, 1/2 hour of any of those ABC for kids programmes seems like nothing but goodness to me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (14-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    About that age I used to tape play school and sesame street and let him watch one episode when I was making dinner, I swear it's the reason he counts to ten and sings the alphabet song! He is now nearly 2 and watches Dora when he goes to mums and now says a few Spanish words! I think as long as what they watch is educational and you can sing/play along with them it can be quite good, I still keep it usually to 30mins only after his nap and before dinner as I tell him that's only when it's on, so far he believes it!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (14-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I figure as long as I'm not actively allowing her to watch adult themes or let her watch TV all day then it's fine. Plus, it's amazing the things they can pick up. At 17 months DD has picked up a few numbers and letters, as well as a few words from songs and now sings along, I love her rendition of "Baa Baa Back Seep"

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the issue with tv is that it can affect their developing depth perception.
    But I completely agree that abc for kids has many great shows, sesame street is so educational.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: TV at 19 months?

We have the tv on abc for kids a fair bit during the day but other things are usually happening at the same time like cooking, playing, housework etc. I don't see the harm in it so long as it's age appropriate.