+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Could flying cause miscarriage?

Hi all
    I am in the midst of an IVF cycle, and by the time I am due to find out if I get a BFP or not will be the same time that I am due to fly to Wagga NSW to see my husband who is on business there.
    If I AM pregnant (fingers crossed!) then I don't want to do anything that could put the baby in harm. I have suffered multiple miscarriages previous to this and am terrified of it happening again. So if there is any chance at all that a flight from brisbane to sydney, and then sydney to wagga could affect anything then of course I wont go.
    Does anyone know if there is any evidence of this? Google cant seem to give me any straight answers!
    Your oppinions and experiences are very much welcomed so please post away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm 18 1/2 wks pregnant with my first attempt ivf baby and I'm due to go to Sydney this wk how ever due to the whole ivf thing and wanting this so bad were driving my doc did say it was ok but dnt want to risk it call as the clinic u went through they will tell u
    Quote Originally Posted by bub4mepls View Post
    Hi all
    I am in the midst of an IVF cycle, and by the time I am due to find out if I get a BFP or not will be the same time that I am due to fly to Wagga NSW to see my husband who is on business there.
    If I AM pregnant (fingers crossed!) then I don't want to do anything that could put the baby in harm. I have suffered multiple miscarriages previous to this and am terrified of it happening again. So if there is any chance at all that a flight from brisbane to sydney, and then sydney to wagga could affect anything then of course I wont go.
    Does anyone know if there is any evidence of this? Google cant seem to give me any straight answers!
    Your oppinions and experiences are very much welcomed so please post away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would say it wouldn't affect you... many women travel until 32 weeks pregnant internationally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Officially, we're all safe to fly until around 32 weeks like Minchi said but I didn't want to risk it after all that I went through to get pregnant in the first place.

I was also pretty anxious in that time around embryo transfer and wouldn't have enjoyed the trip. I felt safer knowing that I could get to the clinic quickly if something did happen.

BTW - best of luck and for your BFP!!

XXX

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I flew to the US 2 days after a FET, my FS said it was fine (but not ideal). It ended up being a chem preg but I don't believe the flight had anything to do with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It seems the easiest thing to do would just be not to go and not risk it. I know that will upset my husband (and myself) greatly as we haven't seen each other in 4 months due to his work (army). All for a greater cause though

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I did my first full stim I lived 7 hours away from my clinic and flew in for scans and bloods in a regular basis. I think got pregnant from my first transfer and chose to keep my FS as my doctor and flew in for appointments, scans the works. My son is now 14 months old...oh I also flew to Bali and Singapore on two separate occasions for holidays during my pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    People are talking about 'not risking it', but there are no known risks of flying while you're pregnant.

You're safe to fly throughout pregnancy, but airlines don't like you doing it toward the end in case you give birth midair.

I'm doing an IVF cycle now, and if it works we will fly to England a few weeks after finding out. My OB is fine with it, and gave me literature to show that it is considered no risk to the baby.

Two of my friends flew long haul in the first trimester, and their obstetricians (different ones) also advised the same. You should be fine. You're also talking about a short flight, so you don't even need to worry about dvt.

There is no evidence to link miscarriage and flying.

Hope all goes well for you this cycle.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (14-10-2012),RobinSparkles  (14-10-2012)