+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Unhappy feeling really upset and need encouragement to continue

hi ladies. i just finjshed feeding my dd (7months) to sleep. im so upset and as im typing this im in tears. she has 2 bottom teetth that came through a couple of weeks ago and has since been biting me (she was always a biter but its getting worse now that she has teeth) really hard witb them. i have tried everything to get her to stop but she just wont. i hate bf and i really want to give it up but i cant as bub refuses any formula we give her. im at the end of my tether with it. it hurts so much. today has been a horrible day, my nipples are so sore and swollen and have cuts in them from her teeth. im in so mucb pain rigbt now and every time i feed her.

im not after advice on how to help with getting her to stop as i have tried everything and nothing works. but i just need some encouragement to keep me going. i reallgy cant stand this much longer. im at breaking point!!! i have depression and this really isnt helping :'(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it really the formula that she's rejecting or is it the actual bottle? If its not the bottle perhaps you could try expressing. Then she will still be getting mommy's milk but your nipples will be safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    she loves these bottles and will happily guzzle down water out of them but she wont take bm or formula out of them. i dont know why but we have triesd and tried and tried. even tried a sippy cup but she spits the milk out but drinks tge water happily (even though she is hingry)

its so frustrating. i really just wish shed understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry i dont have any real advice but i suspect my DD is about to teethe as it is starting to hurt a bit and i can feel something hard in her gum on my bb....i have heard of ppl having thier nipple hanging by a thread etc, its sounds horrible. i can say i guess u just keep trying to give her the bottle and pray she takes it...i did use nipple shields when i started and this took the edge off the pain so wonder if that could help. i hope it gets better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My aunty actually told me that my cousin was told to pull a little bit of bubs hair whenever she bit her. I don't know how I personally feel about this or if I could do it, but I'm not there yet (DD is only 3 weeks). FWIW she said it did work, and the baby was breastfed until 2 years old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went with the removing bubs everytime she bit....lots of tears but she learnt soon that biting led to no milkies!

It's such a terrible thing, but they do often get over it if you can get through a tough stage!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

My DS has only just cut his first tooth and number two is not far behind. He has only just started biting me today, so I expect that I will be in for some painful time ahead.

So, no advice, but encouragement - take it one feed at a time. Keep offering the bottle if that is what you'd like to do. Take care of yourself. Hope she stops biting you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I suggest a teething ring. Have it on hand when you are feeding and if bubs bites you take bubs off and put the teething ring in her mouth instead. Babies often bite when they are finished a feed and just 'playing' although often the first sign that they are playing is the bite! So, I'd be saying stop offering milk as soon as the first bite happens.

A few other random thoughts ... if you think she has sore gums try panadol half an hour before a feed is due (worth a try, probably impossible to predict). And while you're there grab some panadol yourself so that feeding isn't so painful!
    My dd bit me heaps around that age too and feeding HURT big time. She didn't draw blood though, but certainly bit hard. Turns out AF was coming back and that made feeding painful even when she wasn't biting! And the biting was probably cause my milk tasted a bit different or the supply was down a bit or something too (as well as her teething).

The main suggestion I have though is to ring the ABA and get some advice from them on what to do. And don't hestitate to see your M&CHN and your GP for extra support. You don't have to endure this alone. I hope things get easier for you soon.

By the way I managed to get through the biting phase with my dd and she's now 12.5 months old and still BFing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A early childhood nurse told my mother's group to say "No!" and take them off as soon as they bite, and they will learn not to. I'm not up to the biting stage yet so can't vouch for it myself. I hope things get better for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Biting is really really painful. DS bit me so much that I have 2 rather large scars on my nipples. I agree with mim1. Teething ring, panadol and taking baby off as soon as the biting starts (often an indicator that hunger has subsided).