+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Have you ever had chicken pox?

My son has a suspected case of chicken pox, and I took him to the doctors this afternoon to see if he does have it and according to my gp he doesn't but to keep an eye on him over the weekend to see if he does start to show the symptoms or not. Whilst I was there I asked the doctor what the likely hood was of me catching the chicken pox off my son if he does get as I never had the chicken pox as a child and I'm now 27. He said he found it very odd that I never had chicken pox as a child and told me to come back on Monday for a blood test to see if I can have the chicken pox vaccine so I can be protected in case I ever get it as an adult as it is worse on an adult than a child.

I feel like a freak of nature as I never had chicken pox as a kid and I was wondering if any one else never had the chicken pox as a child or as an adult?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didnt get it as a child but caught it at 23. I nearly ended up in hospital

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I got it as a 22yr old. I was breastfeeding dd1 at the time, she didn't get it.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I got it as a child, had 2 spots and a mild cold.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I got the chickenpox at 18 and it was horrific. I was so sick and itchy and miserable. I would prefer to get the vaccination instead of having the chickenpox.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I got it at 21 - not that bad just a few spots and slight fever - my immunity to it is still great 20 years later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got them at 20, it wasn't pretty, the spots weren't too bad but I was extremely ill with fevers etc (common symptoms as an adult I think). Apparently according to past blood tests I previously had a natural immunity to them and thats why I didn't get them as a child but as an adult I was run down and stressed and compromised my immune system enough for them to slip in!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I got it when I was 8. Maybe I'm just old (31) but i also thought that most people of my generation would have had it as a kid. Everyone I know got it, it would do the rounds every couple of years.

I was lucky, mine wasn't too bad. In fact, i thought it was ace that i got to stay home and read Famous Five books for 2 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never had it. Might look into the vaccination, would hate to get it now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I caught it from my daughter and I got so sick my dad had to carry me to the car to take me to hospital. I don't remember much but I remember it was horrible.
    If you haven't had chicken pox get the vaccine!