+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can prednisone affect egg quality?

Just curious about this as I have been taking it since the start of my IVF cycle, I am on 10mg but will go up to 20mg after egg collection.
    I have read some conflicting stories about it online...anyone had any experiences with this at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi - I just did my 3rd stim cycle, but the first one of high dose prednisolone for immune issues (25mg/day from CD1). I got a similar number of eggs as I did on previous cycles, however my fertilisation rate was much lower (less than 50%, where I normally get close to 100%). The scientist said it looked as though there was a structural problem with about half the eggs they collected so when they ICSIed them they didn't fert. I hadn't thought to link that to the steroids but your post got me thinking. I'll be asking my RI when I see him next.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, that is really interesting. I am sorry you didnt get as good a fert rate as previous cycles. I am really worried about that happening with me, both my IVFs we have only ever had four out of the lot make it to blast stage.
    It will be interesting come EPU time to see what happens....
    May I ask what else you did with your protocol? I have been on cetrotide days 1-3, then 125iu of gonal f till day 10 when I saw my FS and he upped it to 150iu. I have a lot of eggs but they arent quiet the right size yet.
    Go back on Monday and hoping to trigger with synarel then

Good luck with your ET, I hope you get some frosties too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had prednisolone throughout 1 stim cycle & 6 FET's. On my stim cycle I got 25 mature eggs, 24 fertilised, 2 transferred at blast stage and 6 frozen. For my last 2 FET cycles I was on 30mg & I now have a 14 month old DD.

Good luck on your journey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Hoping. Thank you for your positive experience! Makes me a little more relaxed about it
    Congrats on your precious little miracle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there bub4mepls, I was on 20mg prednisone (plus aspirin) both for the EPU and the and the frozen cycle that gave me my beautiful baby boy Thomas - healthy and perfect in every way. I hope this cycle is the one that brings you your baby ...