+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What do your kids eat at Child Care?

I haven't even looked at the menus. I'm curious now. I have seen crackers fruit and arrowroot bics. I know they have toast connflakes and wheatbix for breakfast. Lunch I have no idea. They do have cake on birthdays though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What do your kids eat at Child Care?

That would not pass accreditation at all. Not having a cook is no reason to serve crap. Rice cakes with spreads, fruit and cheese, yogurt etc are all just as easy to prepare as what they are serving.
    I would say something. You never know if another parent has said something too and if they get enough complaints they might act on it.
    If your not comfortable talking to the Director perhaps send an email along the lines of "dear director, I'm really happy with the care DD is receiving etc however I am concerned at the nutritional value of the afternoon teas being served. I understand you are having difficulty finding a cook, however yogurt,cheese,fruit etc would be just as easy for your staff to prepare.
    I look forward to hearing from you.

When you entrust a centre with your child's care you have to be able to have an open communicative relationship and not afraid to speak up. honestly I think a lot of centres just get lazy and until someone complains don't change things.
    I have designed menus for child care centres for over 3 years and there are very specific guidelines on what should and shouldn't be served I.e' on white meat days an iron rich food must also be served' etc. foods at the top of the food pyramid should never-rarely be served in care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: What do your kids eat at Child Care?

How about volunteering your time and try and introduce some new healthy options?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been looking at centres and they all have dessert - which is fruit!?

I would definitely mention it to them, ask if they can give her something healthier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: What do your kids eat at Child Care?

Makes me glad my son's centre doesn't supply food (only fruit and veg for morning tea).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for all your replies, everyone! I have spoken to 2 other mums and neither of them have paid attention to the menu, so they didn't know about the junk food. One said she will have a word to the director.

My DD has gotten a place at another centre that has a very nutritious menu. The most cakey thing on the menu is banana bread. I will feel much better knowing she's eating healthy food.

I checked out the menu at her current centre and they're having chocolate crackles this week. Isn't copha supposed to be the worst thing ever? Trans fats galore. Urgh.