+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to dress baby for night now she's rolling onto her tummy?

Hi there,

DD is 4 months old and has just started rolling onto her tummy in her sleep. I've never seen her do it in the daytime (although she is close!) but she has been waking two-three times over the last few nights crying out because she's flipped on her tummy halfway up her cot! I've been feeding her back to sleep (even though she self-settles really easily at 7pm) because she normally wakes for 2 feeds anyway I don't see a problem with that.

I am totally confused however about how to dress her now! She is swaddled in a Love To Dream swaddle, and she can push her head up so I know there's no danger of suffocation, but I do wonder about how to keep her warm enough during the night. We live in a part of southern QLD that has very hot days (around 30degrees this time of year is normal, often more) but cool nights (lately about 10degrees). What we normally do is dress her in a singlet and the Love To Dream swaddle under a sheet when she goes to bed, because it's hot, and then we put two cotton cellular blankets and one woollen blanket on before we go to bed. She's been rolling out from under the blankets however and I wonder if she's waking up because she's cold, she might like sleeping on her tummy, I don't really know yet! I can't put her in anything warmer when she goes to bed because she screams as she's too hot.

Does anyone have any advice? I know that it's normal for babies to wake when they go through these milestones but Im stumper with what to dress her in now. Any suggestions?

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is nearly 6 now, but I remember him at that age always wiggling out of his wraps.
    So we changed to the sleeping bags.
    I can't remember the brand, but there are different "levels" of cotton depending on the climate. Gro Bag maybe? I found them to be great all year round.

He did wake up everytime he rolled over. But once we weaned him from the wrap and into sleeping bags, he got used to it and was fine. He eventually put himself to sleep on his tummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As soon as my bubs roll, I abandon wrapping, swaddles and bedding right away and move to grobags so bubs can also use arms. I wouldn't want bub rolling and having arms trapped in a swaddle. So, grobag would be my choice, with appropriate clothing underneath according to the weather, and no bedding at all.
    Last edited by littleriv; 12-10-2012 at 10:03. Reason: added word 'away'

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PP, transition to a gro bag. They have different togs for different temps and a clothing guide which tells you how to dress them for the temperature.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have the same problem, thinking about getting a grow bag and putting DD in a long sleeve onesie. Or just the long sleeve and a blanket for the legs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, sleeping bag it is! Anyone ever used one of the Merino ones? I like the idea of buying one bag that will work through different seasons and for a longer period of time but not sure they would actually work? Any advice on brands or types?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Buy second hand grobags off EBAY ( winter and summer one).

I'd be dubious of any sleeping bag that claims to be suitable for both hot and cold environments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use Bonds sleeping bags. (Winter and Summer) They are around $30 at Big W. Cheaper when on special. Easy to put on as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We've used nothing but gro bags and our DS is a terrific sleeper. He is 20 months old and we still use them. You can get them pretty cheaply from UK sellers on eBay (brand new) & there are plenty of 2nd hand ones too. I bought five of them and have never paid anywhere near full price (I think they are a bit expensive if you don't shop around).