+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Worried about baby turning and sleeping on her stomach at night

Hi everyone!

My 7 month old DD just learned how to turn from back to front a few days ago. I am not sure if she is excited about her new skill, but on the same night she woke up at 2am and turned on her tummy in bed. (She sleeps in bed with me.) I turned her back on her back, but then she did it again. So I just stayed awake with her and let her play. She didn't go to sleep for another 1.5 hours.

Then the next night she did the same thing at the same time. So I am just freaking out at the moment. I really hope this is just a phase and she is not going to wake up every night and stay awake for an hour or so. Please someone tell me, that they've been through this.

Also I put her to sleep on her back tonight, and an hour later I saw her sleeping on her side for the first time ever. Now I am worried that she will turn on her stomach and fall asleep in this way. Is it more safe for her to sleep on her stomach now that she is 7 months old or should I keep an eye on her? Or I was thinking of getting a sleep positioner. But I'm not sure if it's really necessary.

I would really appreciate some advice. I am actually worried right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When DD learned how to roll onto her tummy there was no stopping her. She's been a dedicated tummy sleeper ever since. She only falls asleep on her back if she's absolutely shattered but always ends up on her tummy at some point. It used to freak me out too but DD could easily push herself up, roll around or whatever so there was no need to worry about her being stuck face down.

Does your bub sleep wrapped still? If so you might want to consider putting her to sleep in something that allows easier arm movement.

I was told once that bubs often get restless at night when they learn a new skill because they kind of practice it in their sleep, which wakes them up. DD was like that when she'd figure out a new skill but it settled pretty quickly.

It's normal to worry but just keep an eye on her and make sure she can maneuver out of any face-down position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cue!

Thank you for your reply.

No, I don't wrap her. She sleep in a sleeping bag, with arms being free.

Oh, it's good to know that it's ok for her to sleep on her tummy. But what do you think about a sleep positioner? Maybe not necessary then?

Wow, it makes sense now. I am sure she's been practising the new skill in the middle of the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah completely normal! My 7.5 month old DD used to sleep on her back or side all the time until about 4 days ago. Now she rolls onto her tummy before she even falls asleep now!

In fact as I sit here typing, I can see her on the monitor and she's currently in her sleeping bag but out of her covers, laying across the short length of the cot. She got to that position after rolling from her tummy to her back numerous times, pretty much moving around the entire cot.

If she sleeps in bed with you, I wouldn't be worried about her suffocating on her tummy because being unwrapped and being her age, she'll be able to reposition herself so she can breathe, but the more mobile she gets, she could always roll off the bed if you aren't there with her.

So a positioner may help, but you don't want her to feel too restricted as she needs to be able to get comfortable enough to sleep.

Just keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't move to close to the end of the bed. If she does become mobile in that way, is it possible you could transition her to her own cot?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi CuddlesAwait!

Sorry for the late reply. DD has been sick and hubby is away for a few days.

Wow, so your DD just rolls all over her cot. It's good to know that babies do that, haha.. My DD just started rolling over so it's a bit scary for me.

I don't wrap her at all... One side of the bed is against the wall, so she sleeps on the side where she can't fall off and I sleep on the other side. But I actually started putting her in her cot during day naps for the last few days. And surprisingly she is fine with that most of the time. So fingers crossed I can move her into the cot completely soon.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oooh awesome! So moving rooms might be easier than you thought!

As long as she knows how to turn her head to the side when on her tummy, and no one smokes around the house or her, the risk of SIDS at that age is soooooo minimal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh yeah, they really get around the cot once they figure out how to move! DD travels around the cot all night. I wouldn't bother with a sleep positioner, I'd just let her find her own sleeping position at that age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies! Thank you for your replies.

No, I'm not that far.. I just started putting her into the cot which is in our bedroom. Don't think she'll be moving rooms any time soon, lol. (It's a progress for us as she's been sleeping in our bed from day one)

Well, the sleep positioner is probably a bad idea. Just have to get used to the baby sleeping on her tummy. (Still scary..)

We don't smoke by the way.

Good night, ladies