+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We've started when DS was old enough to stand up at the kitchen bench, so from around 18 months. He's 2.5 and loves to mash potatoes, put chopped veggies in a roasting pan or salad bowl, he tries to chop them too with his 'little knife'. He also spreads things on his own toast. I think they do quite a bit of food prep at CC as well, as well as serve themselves lunch. DP drops him off and told me that he's been pouring his own cup of milk for morning tea for about a year. I didn't even know he could do that, LOL.
    So yeah, i think the earlier the better and it just naturally progresses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I cooked dinner for the whole family basically every night from around 8. I wouldn't make my kids do that but I will teach them the basics as early as possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Wow that's pretty youngto cook that often. What sort of things were you cooking?

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am pretty shocking apparently.. I think the ages I learnt to cook/ help in the kitchen are about right. My mother says she learnt earlier then I did. I was able to cook Spag bol by Age 10, along with a couple of other simple Mince Dishes (Shepherd's Pie, tacos etc). I was also could make cakes, ice & decorate them by around the same age. I had just always been in the kitchen when mum was cooking dinner (along with my siblings on different days) and when mum went out to work after my father passed the 3 girls took to doing dinners different days. I quickly found what meals i needed help with (it took me 20 years to perfect a steak) and what I could do easily.

My mother was bought up with there always being at least 1 full "biscuit tin" in the house with home made goodies in it. She tried that at our house until she went to work. During Holidays my Sisters and I tried out best to do the same and again found out quickly what we needed help with.

I would like my kids to have an idea of what they are doing in the kitchen by a similar age. DH is afraid to boil water but trys to cook for me sometimes when he knows I really need the help and is able to cope. He does pretty good too. But He has a friend who's mother died 2 years ago and is currently single.. I have found out he lives on chips and other snack foods way to often. He doesn't even own a lot of kitchen wear. He's own's a bbq and often invites us around with DH & Another mutual friend cooking and I organise all the drinks and plates & cutlery etc.. never is enough.. there is always someone trying to eat a T-bone off a saucer.

I never want my child to end up like that. I would rather they know too young then be almost 40 and unable to cope living alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    As soon as DS is old enough to help with basic tasks in the kitchen I will have him helping me (if he wants to). Will progress with types of tasks as he gets older until he can cook/bake a few basic things on his own (with supervision of course).

I think by the time I was 8 or 9 I was able to do some baking and cooking. I had a kids cookbook with all recipes suitable for children to do on their own (or if a step needed adult assistance it stated it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefooted&Pregnant View Post
    I have found out he lives on chips and other snack foods way to often. He doesn't even own a lot of kitchen wear. He's own's a bbq and often invites us around with DH & Another mutual friend cooking and I organise all the drinks and plates & cutlery etc.. never is enough.. there is always someone trying to eat a T-bone off a saucer.

I never want my child to end up like that. I would rather they know too young then be almost 40 and unable to cope living alone.
    I have a SIL like that too.
    My DD taught a heap of young uni students to cook earlier this year because they been sent to a new country with cooking abilities at all. They living of kfc.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My boys have been helping since they were 2+ with chopping and measuring stuff, learning what foods are what. They do their own pizza toppings and make sandwiches. Now they are both almost 4 and 5 and they also help to stir things in the frying pan and to put things in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All these little junior masterchefs in the making

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I have a SIL like that too.
    My DD taught a heap of young uni students to cook earlier this year because they been sent to a new country with cooking abilities at all. They living of kfc.
    I have trouble comprehending how people can get to adulthood without basic cooking skills. I also don't know how people can consider driving without knowing how to change a tyre or check oil & water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    All these little junior masterchefs in the making
    dd1 loves the kids version. Every time its on she wants to get creative in the kitchen.dd1 loves her vegetables and understand some food is very unhealthy and some food is very healthy. its important to get kids involved in the kitchen learning about food and all the things you can make if you know the versatility of eggs milk flour potato and few other things.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (14-10-2012)