+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it all depends on your circles.

I've never had anything but encouragement for natural drug-free births.

And I've had 3 of them. My first was c-sec (twins.. and severe unknown immaturity about birthing issues and intervention on my part... was basically given the line "Well you're probably going to have a c-sec anyway, may as well have the epidural first and no one ever got a medal for going through the pain. Silly naive girl I was believed them) Then I educated myself, trusted myself surrounded myself with others who felt the same as I did and went on to have three amazing natural drug free births... to babies ALL over 9.2 pounds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a emerg csec with ds under ga so I was hoping to have any birth which was better than that ie I wanted to be awake. I had a drug free birth with dd which I had hoped for (didn't expect it) but never shared my hopes with anyone. If anyone asks about my most recent labour I say it was great but never mention anything else. I don't wish to share my story and I really don't want to hear anyone else's. I feel you just deal with what you are presented on the day. Other people's experiences have little bearing on how my labours will be so i've never been interested and i've kept my ears firmly closed when they start speaking

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am planning on having a natural birth (at home if possible) and while I get fabulous support from the women in my family, I am not game to tell anyone else about my choices. I have even asked my partner not to tell anyone unless he is sure they are going to be supportive because I just dont want to have to deal with the negativity. Most of the birth stories I hear at my workplace are scary but in the way that just reinforces to me that I am making the right choice. I know I am doing what is right for me, I just wish that people didnt take a patronising stance as it is my first and assume that I have no clue. That I will wake up when it all starts happening and realise that I really cant do without all the wonderfully helpful doctors and thier drugs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    People seem in disbelief about the no drug thing. I think it has more to do with societies expectations than anything else.

I had my first 2 natural and drug free and if I have anymore they will be home births. And I don't care what anyone else says! If I am healthy and bubs is too then I don't see any issues with it.

Enjoy your birth, your way.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Natural birth with no drugs

I got to the point I said to DH that if I needed gas I would have that, but that only. And that was purely because of the 'scare mongering' thrown at us! As it was I didn't even consider the gas once I was in labour. I figured nothing would actually stop the pain except an epidural or getting bub out. So I got on with getting her out!

If you get your mind in the right space 110% you can do it. It hurts like nothing you ever have experienced, I won't lie, but it's sooo achievable and the feeling of accomplishment at the end is amazing

I can almost talk myself into wanting to do it again lol argh!

2plus3equals6 is offline impatiently waiting TTC miracle number 4
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I don't discuss my plans of how or what I plan to do regarding birth or anything for that fact I just do what I want and tell people after I have done it so they have no choice but acknowledge fact of what happened and my success in doing it not gossip trying to predict the unpredictable based on what happened to someone else or what suits them or their life.

Thanks
    Reviews

I admire you so much for wanting drug free. I showed at the hospital and they said because my contraction were irregular I was on for a long night. When in actual fact this was the transition stage. I knew that I couldn't handle it for what they thought was "a long night". After my epidural they checked me 15 mins later and I was 10cm and ready to go. Then my contractions fizzled and had to wait for it to wear off before pushing. Nearly 3hrs. If I Had of known how close I was I would've made it drug free. It's bad pain but honestly the pain at its worst was less than I thought. I ended up having an emergency c-section so having the epidural proved to be a good thing as they didn't have to do that in Theatre but honestly I think women can do it, and I admire anyone who can do it all Natural. People will always have opinions and bring you down. Especially during pregnancy! Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Sarah18; 12-11-2012 at 05:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They shut up pretty quick when I tell them I've done it twice before and had a waterbirth for 1 and want another one. Drugs cut that option out. I get more comments on the 4 hour discharge after birthing.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's pretty common. I had a work colleague laugh at me when I told her that I was planning on having a drug free birth She said I would be screaming for drugs. I never screamed for drugs and I didn't have drugs either. I don't really give a rats if other people use drugs while birthing. Each to their own.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a drug free active birth for two reasons: 1) I was in the community midwife program and opted out of drug use in an antenatal appt where we discussed a birth plan, so when I went into premature labour and had to be upstairs in the main hospital instead of the birth suite because I was automatically high risk, the nurses and midwives all saw on my chart that I wasn't to be offered drugs, and 2) I was a bit too preoccupied to ask- they kept saying I was having moderate contractions.. I think I thought 'oh if these are moderate I'd better wait and see how bad it gets!' And the active part comes in as I paced the floor for 12 hours. They had to put a wireless foetal monitor on me because I refused to get back on the bed.
    Tbh I do feel extreme pride in my own achievement of a drug free active labour and delivery. But I don't look down on anybody else for needing help to get through or needing medical intervention. Like I said, I didn't even know what I was doing anyway