+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Arghh when i told My own MuM i wanted to *try* for a drug free labour and birth she straight away came to the conclusion that i'm dreaming, how rediculous, i wont handle it and i'll beasking for an epidural as soon as i enter hospital doors.
    She spread the word to family members and they also said "why would she even want to put herself thru that?"
    Thanks alot mum.
    DH is very supportive. Though he jokes i wont make it as im a big sook lol he's hoping i get the birth i want and not talking me out of it, telling me how bad it will be or generally making me feel like an idiot for anting a drug free birth.
    Screw em! It's your birth and no one elses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Natural birth with no drugs

It's common for people to scare monger. Everyone knows someone who had a bad time and they'll drag up that story whenever you mention you're planning to not have drugs or whatever.

People who don't even have kids think they know how it all works. I've previously had a caesarean and am planning to homebirth any future children. I mentioned this to friends recently and one childless friend said, "nope, they'll just open you back up." As if I had done no prior research and had just decided on homebirth on the spot. Lol.

When I let her know that, in fact, nobody would be just opening me back up etc... She went on about people she knew who needed intervention and how it's stupid in this day and age to not have that help on hand... Blah blah.

People often have this reaction. I think it's mostly a result of birth culture in our country. It's not seen and natural and normal, but treated almost like cancer that needs maximum medical treatment to deal with appropriately.

Do what you need to op. don't let naysayers think they know better than you do.

Thanks
    Reviews

yeah people always have a story that will try & scare you... it's your body, And we do what we think is right if/when the time comes.

fwiw, I planned a birth centre, drug free birth and got it. that made people pipe down. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wanted a drug-free birth and I didn't really experience any of that negative feedback. Most people were positive about it and said things like "you'll be fine, you can do it - women do it every day, so can you!". A few people sort of said "wait and see how you go" in a light-hearted way, but honestly I really don't think everyone out there has a strong view on birthing.

I went through an OB and private hospital, the doctor and midwives were very encouraging about trying for a natural birth, didn't offer pain relief unless asked, and encouraged me to be active through labour. It didn't quite go to plan as things went a little pear-shaped, but I would in no way immediately think the same would happen to the next woman aiming for a natural birth.

Every situation is unique and it's great that you're planning a natural drug-free birth - there's a very good chance it'll go brilliantly!

Also, I don't think everyone who didn't get a natural birth feels bad about it and tries to bring down or scare those who are hoping for one. I certainly don't, I feel no desire at all to try to change their mind or frighten them. If they ask about my birth I'll answer their questions, but I'll always say that was just me and it'll be different for them.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had the opposite. I was certain I wanted an epidural and had friends telling me I should attempt drug free I thought they were nuts lol, anyway I managed to get through the whole thing with only gas and it was such a positive experience. I plan on having my next one in a birthing centre, hope you get to experience the birth you've planned, please let us know how it goes :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i don't get why people try to scare others.

I'm very open minded with what i would like as in if i feel that i need drugs at the time to help ME deal with the pain then ill use them and if not then i wont same for an emergency C section.... i hadn't thought about an elective C section but that was mainly due to my lack of knowledge of how to go about getting on now days but if all is well with bubs i'm happy to go down the path of a vaginal birth with or without drugs.....

no one should be made to feel stupid or inadequate for the choices they make..... and i wish every one well with their chosen birthing methods

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I got a little kick out of reporting to people (only those who asked lol) that in went drug free after so many people laughed at me for wanting to go drug free.

It was a little hard to take when friends called me a "*****" or "psycho" though :-/ (joking of course, but with that undercurrent of meaning it...)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Natural birth with no drugs

I am pregnant with my first and have really high hopes to go el natural and everyone including my closest friends and family have laughed at me so far!!!! It's so disheartening, DH is the only one who supports me! He is amazing!!! My mum is a little compassionate at least she tells me not to put too much pressure on myself or have any expectations that could lead to feeling like a failure whereas everyone else has straight out laughed and pretty much told me I have no idea what I'm in for! It's almost like they're enjoying it they may as well start rubbing their hands together, making popcorn and saying straight out "you beauty, lets watch this one crash and burn!!!!"

I feel like screaming at them and thanking them for their complete lack of support and fear of failure!!!

Sent from my ST25a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah it can be done. Stick to your guns if that's what you truly want. I've had 4 drug free natural labors. (Apart from gas) and am about to deliver number 5 in 4 weeks who cares what others think or say tell them to go jump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I had a few whoppers haha.

My mum was trying to opt me into having a c-section cause she preferred it over labour. And gave me the whole 'why go through all the pain when you can stop it with drugs'
    My MIL had a couple of long and exhausting labours, but what she told me just scared me lol.
    When I had DS1 pretty much drug free, the tone changed, 'you clever woman' 'how amazing!'

My best friend I were pregnant at the same time (3 days apart) and this was with my 2nd. We both decided we were going to go natural. Her MIL was in shock when the topic came up in conversation, she looked at me with a look of wtf are you thinking. And I turned around and asked her 'Do you think I am crazy?! I have done it once, I can do it again' she just went quiet. My best friend thanked me forever after that, as she didn't see her MIL questioning her choices anytime soon.