+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks ladies this is all really helpful! I found a dress I love for my bridesmaids today! Its really cute and its only $48!!!! Bargain! Waiting to hear back from my MOH to see if she thinks it will suit her Do any of you have any dressmakers/formal dress shops that you would recommend? Im going against tradition and getting a purple wedding dress except I dont know whether to get it made or just buy a "prom" dress

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Check out wantima country club, it's on the north side of Brisbane at Brendale. We got married there in 2009. Really lovely grounds for ceremony and photos and the reception cost was so much cheaper than a lot of places we looked at. Also they didn't charge extra to hold the ceremony there. Most of the venues we looked at prior wanted to charge a $500-$600 'ceremony fee' even if we held the reception there. We used the one stop wedding shop at strathpine for the ceremony decos and chair covers/sashes. I did the centrepieces myself.
    Last edited by felicia81; 12-10-2012 at 15:46.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to felicia81 For This Useful Post:

starflame  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We eloped too so not much help. Had the reception when we got back at the local rugby club. Put some money behind the bar, got a couple of bottles of wine for each table, after that they were on their own. No one minded because the beer was so cheap

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pommiemum11 For This Useful Post:

starflame  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by starflame View Post
    Okay, so I want to do my whole wedding for under $10 000. Thats including everything! I know its possible but I need some pointers and what not. Also, have any of you ladies done a wedding for this cheap, and if so where did you get married etc?? I live in Brisbane and most of the places Ive found are expensive. We are looking at a garden wedding, with around 50 guests (maybe less) Please help!!!
    Hahahaha I firs read that as under $10 and I was thinking "That's not even possible... the fees surrounding it cost more than $10. Ahh sorry just had to share that i had a good laugh when I realised I'd misread it. For what it's worth I think it's very doable for under 10,000.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

starflame  (13-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got married at Woodlands of Marburg, absolutely stunning location and they have the option of garden or chapel wedding. We did the chapel so weather didn't matter (lucky we did as it rained the day of our wedding!). We had it in October & the jacarandas were all out and we got some stunning photos in the vinyard.

Our wedding was under $10k, the most expensive part being food and alcohol. We only had around 30 guests though, and I wanted people to be able to choose their meals, instead of alternate service and we had the reception in the restaurant.

To keep costs down I did my own flowers (just got them fresh from the markets the day before), and mum has an awesome op-shopping friend that found some beautiful silver vase/ candle holders for the table decorations. We also didn't worry about a cake, as we had a 3 course meal so desert seemed enough. It happened that the dress I wanted was on sale as the display was the only one left and it was being discontinued, so I saved about $300 on that, although had to spend about $100 getting dry-cleaned before the wedding.

Good luck, it's a very exciting time!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

rainbow road  (13-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got married at Joncia Gardens at Logan Reserve on the Southside of Brisbane. Was $600 for the venue. Beautiful choice of gardens and the owners are lovely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    We got married at Woodlands of Marburg, absolutely stunning location and they have the option of garden or chapel wedding. We did the chapel so weather didn't matter (lucky we did as it rained the day of our wedding!). We had it in October & the jacarandas were all out and we got some stunning photos in the vinyard.

Our wedding was under $10k, the most expensive part being food and alcohol. We only had around 30 guests though, and I wanted people to be able to choose their meals, instead of alternate service and we had the reception in the restaurant.

To keep costs down I did my own flowers (just got them fresh from the markets the day before), and mum has an awesome op-shopping friend that found some beautiful silver vase/ candle holders for the table decorations. We also didn't worry about a cake, as we had a 3 course meal so desert seemed enough. It happened that the dress I wanted was on sale as the display was the only one left and it was being discontinued, so I saved about $300 on that, although had to spend about $100 getting dry-cleaned before the wedding.

Good luck, it's a very exciting time!!
    Oh getting your own flowers from the markets! I wouldnt have even thought about that! Great Idea! My Fiance and I have been looking at Bundaleer Rainforest Gardens. Its beautiful and we both really love it, we just have to figure out if they allow smaller weddings. It says a minimum of 50 people for most of it, but Im trying to find out if we had the wedding on a weekday if there would be a minimum.

Ive been looking at a dress from a shop in Sydney. Im really in love with it and think it would suit our theme pretty well. Its not a wedding dress, but its very formal. And its $950 less than the proper wedding dress I have picked out. So saving dollars where we can! Our bridal party has agreed to buy/hire their attire, and we are paying for their shoes (customised converse shoes!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by starflame View Post
    Oh getting your own flowers from the markets! I wouldnt have even thought about that! Great Idea! My Fiance and I have been looking at Bundaleer Rainforest Gardens. Its beautiful and we both really love it, we just have to figure out if they allow smaller weddings. It says a minimum of 50 people for most of it, but Im trying to find out if we had the wedding on a weekday if there would be a minimum.

Ive been looking at a dress from a shop in Sydney. Im really in love with it and think it would suit our theme pretty well. Its not a wedding dress, but its very formal. And its $950 less than the proper wedding dress I have picked out. So saving dollars where we can! Our bridal party has agreed to buy/hire their attire, and we are paying for their shoes (customised converse shoes!!)

All up I think I spent about $150 on flowers - that was for 2 big vases in the chapel, mine & my sister bouquets (only had 1 bridesmaid) and the table centrepieces. I just worked out what was white and in season and went with that.

Our biggest challenge was finding somewhere that catered for smaller weddings - we didn't want to have to pay for and decorate a huge function room for only 30 people! That's why a restaurant setting worked best for us, we barely had to do any decorations because the room was beautiful as it was, and included all table cloths, restaurant chairs etc.

ETA: just wanted to add some more money saving tips that worked for us:

- Didn't do a hair trial, I just wanted it up, soft and curly. I took in lots of photos beforehand and on the day the hairdresser did a perfect job.
    - Only had 1 bridesmaid & 1 groomsmen - we didn't have to co-ordinate anyone so they just wore what they wanted. My sister bought a gorgeous little cocktail dress from DFO for under $50 and groomsman just wore a grey suit he already had.
    - Mum worked at a newpaper and is a graphic designer so used her expertise to do the invites.
    - I bought faily cheap shoes, as they were only getting worn for a few hours. I packed a pair of white thongs to change into if the shoes started to hurt!
    - Having the ceremony & reception at the one place we didn't worry about hiring any cars etc. We stayed at Woodlands the night before, but the cost of a room was much less than vehicle hire would have been
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 13-10-2012 at 10:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    All up I think I spent about $150 on flowers - that was for 2 big vases in the chapel, mine & my sister bouquets (only had 1 bridesmaid) and the table centrepieces. I just worked out what was white and in season and went with that.

Our biggest challenge was finding somewhere that catered for smaller weddings - we didn't want to have to pay for and decorate a huge function room for only 30 people! That's why a restaurant setting worked best for us, we barely had to do any decorations because the room was beautiful as it was, and included all table cloths, restaurant chairs etc.

ETA: just wanted to add some more money saving tips that worked for us:

- Didn't do a hair trial, I just wanted it up, soft and curly. I took in lots of photos beforehand and on the day the hairdresser did a perfect job.
    - Only had 1 bridesmaid & 1 groomsmen - we didn't have to co-ordinate anyone so they just wore what they wanted. My sister bought a gorgeous little cocktail dress from DFO for under $50 and groomsman just wore a grey suit he already had.
    - Mum worked at a newpaper and is a graphic designer so used her expertise to do the invites.
    - I bought faily cheap shoes, as they were only getting worn for a few hours. I packed a pair of white thongs to change into if the shoes started to hurt!
    - Having the ceremony & reception at the one place we didn't worry about hiring any cars etc. We stayed at Woodlands the night before, but the cost of a room was much less than vehicle hire would have been
    Well done! Im only having 1 bridesmaid (so far) and DF has 2 groomsmen. I think itll look a little strange if I dont have another bridesmaid but at this stage there is no one else I want! I was thinking about getting silk flowers but not sure on the pricing just yet! We have decided againt the transport as well. DFs father is a car detailer and knows heaps of people that have fancy cars so chances are we could probably get him to lend a car off someone if we really need it!

My godmother is a hairdresser and is more than willing to do our hair for us! Plus my other godmother is a photographer so thats those two things for cheap for us. Its so exciting all this planning I cant wait till the day!