+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Where did you get married?

Okay, so I want to do my whole wedding for under $10 000. Thats including everything! I know its possible but I need some pointers and what not. Also, have any of you ladies done a wedding for this cheap, and if so where did you get married etc?? I live in Brisbane and most of the places Ive found are expensive. We are looking at a garden wedding, with around 50 guests (maybe less) Please help!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm getting married on the beach. It's free.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pumpkaboo For This Useful Post:

monnie24  (12-10-2012),starflame  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh very nice!! Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Restaurants are a great option for reception venues if you have a smaller wedding. They don't usually charge room hire fee and have cheaper meal options

I have a $6k budget for everything and some things that have helped me save money are
    -buying thing like table runners, chair sashes and other decos from eBay.. It was cheaper than hiring.
    -not having individual placecards, they can get quite expensive
    -getting bouquets made other than real or silk flowers (go on etsy)
    -using an up-and-coming photographer. Some of them are very talented but don't charge alot because they don't have years of experience behind them
    -asking close family or friends to help pay for something rather than a gift/money on your wedding day. BILs are paying for our wedding cake
    -finding a celebrant that has all inclusive fees and provides aisle runners, signing table, etc

There are also lots of reputable websites out there that have bridal and bridesmaid dresses quite cheap.
    We also found that it wasn't much more expensive to buy our suits rather than hire and can then sell them after if we want to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

starflame  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    keep in mind that mid week is cheaper than weekends.

http://www.serviceseeking.com.au/
    this site you state what you want and what you can/want to pay and people with the skills will answer, you could find up and coming services like photographer or hairdresser/makeup

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! Im writing all these tips down. I will def look into the flowers and restaurant ideas. Would it be totally tacky to ask people to bring their own alcohol if we have a reception somewhere that doesnt serve alcohol?

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I saw in a wedding magazine where someone asked every guest to bring a single flower and show up 15 minutes early. They had a friend with artistic flair put them together with ribbon to match their colour scheme and they ended up with a one of a kind, free bouquet where each flower was given to them by someone they love.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

starflame  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn't sound right. A better option would be beer and wine provided, but if you would like something stronger, bring it along (with better wording)
    Or if you do go somewhere licensed, you have the option of putting a certain amount over the bar and specifying what is available. We're putting $2k over (i just realised that this wasn't added to my budget, so our total wedding cost is $8k) and that is limited to beer, wine, soft drink and juice. Once it runs out, and when people want something else, they will have to pay for their drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by starflame View Post
    Thanks ladies! Im writing all these tips down. I will def look into the flowers and restaurant ideas. Would it be totally tacky to ask people to bring their own alcohol if we have a reception somewhere that doesnt serve alcohol?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

starflame  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I eloped, so I probably don't have much helpful advice for you there . But a lot of my friends have done budget weddings, and a very popular trend among them is asking everyone to pay for their meals instead of buying gifts. They've just popped a little card in with the invite with a cute little poem about how they don't need gifts and the company of their guests is more important . I don't see this as tacky at all, in this day & age it's just practical. Another thing is to utilise any talents your friends / family may have! My sister for example, is great at baking and my brother's girlfriend is great at sewing / dressmaking.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to justthe3ofus For This Useful Post:

starflame  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We got married in a park. Totally free. Though we had the reception at the cafe there, so they organised to have someone there to make sure that no one set up for a picnic where we planned to have the ceremony. The 2 hr stand up finger food reception with beer, wine and soft drinks set us back $1200.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

starflame  (12-10-2012)