+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Do you find it hard...

...to have a reasonable conversation about vaccinations and the issues around them with peope that are anti-vax?

I am always open to new information and will accept if I have truly been proven wrong in regards to vaccinations. But, I find that anyone that is anti-vax refuses to listen to our* facts or opinions (*our being those that are pro-vax). They are 'right' and any information that we present is all fed to us by the health department, you know, because they're only in it for the money and all (insert sarcasm).

Note: THIS IS IN THE PRO-VAX SECTION!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I try not to get into discussions about it too much.
    Its frustrating but that's life.
    I remind myself that there is nothing you can do and my kids are protected.
    Everyone makes their choices.
    I strongly agree with vaxx my mum is very anti vaxx. Talking to her is like talking to a brick wall. When my son was born she printed off hundreds of articles about how dangerous vaxx are etc..
    It's pointless trying to reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try my hardest not to get into discussions about it TBH. I have one friend who is very anti-vax, all her posts on FB are about it and she gets quite nasty when anyone disagrees with her (even in a respectful, general debate kind of way). It's kind of scarred me and I don't want to discuss it with anyone else now!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe you are just talking to the wrong people? We don't vax and I don't particularly care what anyone else does..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a large number of mums in my network, some of which are anti-vax, and any chance they get they will bring it up. Ie. A first time mum-to-be will suddenly be inundated with 'facts' about vaccinations, and I have then commented because they will throw around that vaccines contain aborted fetus cells and the likes, saying to the mum-to-be to do do her own research because a lot of this information is mistruth... This, of course, turns into an argument about them being 'right'.

I see it everywhere; irl, forums, facebook friends and parenting pages, even instagram :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is what I mean!
    Every single anti-vax person that I know irl is rude and downright nasty about their opinions, going as far as saying that it is impossible to be educated and vaccinate; that pro-vax people are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    I try my hardest not to get into discussions about it TBH. I have one friend who is very anti-vax, all her posts on FB are about it and she gets quite nasty when anyone disagrees with her (even in a respectful, general debate kind of way). It's kind of scarred me and I don't want to discuss it with anyone else now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well yes.

Probably because I find it very difficult to stay calm and open-minded on a discussion with someone who is anti-vaccination for reasons apart from medical reasons that is. Of course I do understand not everyone can or should be vaccinated, but most should be.

I find it far too selfish, elitist, ignorant, not to vaccinate for no good medical reason. Herd immunity is what keeps life-threatening disease out of the general population. It's a fact, not a *novel idea*.

So yeah, I do find it hard to discuss with someone who doesn't agree with vaccination. It's frustrating when people just don't get it, are that paranoid or just think they're above it all. Not to mention those who would rather rely on the rest of us doing it to keep them safe.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 11-10-2012 at 12:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaHan View Post
    I have a large number of mums in my network, some of which are anti-vax, and any chance they get they will bring it up. Ie. A first time mum-to-be will suddenly be inundated with 'facts' about vaccinations, and I have then commented because they will throw around that vaccines contain aborted fetus cells and the likes, saying to the mum-to-be to do do her own research because a lot of this information is mistruth... This, of course, turns into an argument about them being 'right'.

I see it everywhere; irl, forums, facebook friends and parenting pages, even instagram :/

That's what gets me down too. My anti-vax "friend" (actually a partner of one of DH's mates) harrassed one of our friends about how bad it was to vax her baby (first time mum) and my friend rang me in tears so confused and said she felt like a bad mum. All I could tell her was to do the research on her own, from reputable sources and do what she thinks is best.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaHan View Post

Meh I take more of an each to their own approach. I would just say I disagreed and leave it at that. IMO though if you're going to argue with them then be prepared for them to say what they want to say regardless of whether you agree or not.

I do agree that it can be hard to hear someone say what you believe is completely wrong. Try not to own their opinion though it won't get you anywhere! I find saying I hear you saying xyz but I disagree works well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Well yes.

Probably because I find it very difficult to stay calm and open-minded on a discussion with someone who is anti-vaccination for reasons apart from medical reasons that is. Of course I do understand not everyone can or should be vaccinated, but most should be.

I find it far too selfish, elitist, ignorant, not to vaccinate for no good medical reason. Herd immunity is what keeps life-threatening disease out of the general population. It's a fact, not a *novel idea*.

So yeah, I do find it hard to discuss with someone who doesn't agree with vaccination. It's frustrating when people just don't get it, are that paranoid or just think they're above it all. Not to mention those who would rather rely on the rest of us doing it to keep them safe.
    I think you'll find OP that there are a lot more people like this ^ around than the way you describe. I just don't bother anymore IRL to tell anyone that we don't vaccinate.

While I do agree that there are some anti-vax warriors out there there are far more pro-vax warriors with foul mouths around.