+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Installing Smoke Detectors - Where??

Hi

We have just moved into a new rental property which is much bigger than our previous house.

I am curious about where we should install the smoke detectors as DH and I have differing opinions and his idea is similar to what I have found on the internet - installing detector along the corridor/passage way to bedrooms.

A bit of background. I use a small heater in the ensuite bathroom to warm it up before our baths. It is a Kambrook (sp) and it does cut off heating if it gets too warm. I dont usually stay around to wait for it to warm up the bathroom.

I also use a free-standing column heater in my master room on low setting the whole night.

Should I not install the smoke alarm in the ensuite bathroom? If the heater catches fire, wont it be sensible that the alarm go off there so we can act, rather than waiting for the smoke to come out of it into the master bedroom and then out to the corridor? I thought that would be too late.

And should we install one detector in the master room as well?

And the gas heater is in the laundry room. The dishwasher, washing machine and dryer are all there. My dog sleeps there. We will be checking with the landlord if it has been serviced and checked re Carbon Monoxide. Should we also install one smoke detector there cos DH thinks there is no need. If he just install one along the corridor leading to the bedrooms, I doubt if the laundry room catches fire, we can escape! That room is all the way at the front of the corridor/passageway.

Sorry for the long post and no floor plan to demonstrate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In QLD the fire brigade will come out and do a fire safety assessment and advise, for free. Not sure if there is a similar program near you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In NSW it's compulsory for all landlords to supply smoke alarms - where are you? We even have them serviced yearly to make sure they are in working order, as per the regulations smoke alarms must be placed outside bedrooms ( hallways) and at foyers/hallways before the front and back doors so if there is a fire it will wake you up before it reaches the exits and you can get out quickly! They are not recommended in kitchens/laundrys/ bathrooms

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have ours outside all the bedrooms and main corridors. I wouldn't do one in or outside a bathroom, if someone forgets to put the fan on and it gets to steamy, it's enough to set it off, it'll drive you mad! (Happened to us in our holiday home ha)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also have ours in the main hallways outside the bedrooms. I don't think you are supposed to put them in bathroom's because of the steam.

If you contacted the local fire department they could probably give you some information about where they are recommended to be placed - a few years a go when DD2 was in prep they went ot the Fire Station for an excursion and came home with a bag of goodies - there was a brochure in there about where to install firm alarms.

If you are renting then I'd ask the landlord about installing them - here in Tassie it is also compulsory for rental properties to have smoke detectors installed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    An electrician will be able to decide thy best place and install them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Aren't there already smoke alarms installed? It law in most states, if not all for there to be at least 1 alarm installed outside the bedrooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much! I forget about mist triggering the alarm off, was just focusing on smoke.

i am in Victoria. Never realized I can ask the fire dept dud...

the landlord came yesterday as his alarm wasn't working he got it fixed. That one is a few meters from the main door.

dh installed another one right outside our rooms.

I guess that would be sufficient. Will probably call an electrician up.

as for the gas heater in our laundry area landlord hasn't got it checked by a licenced gas fitter and will do so.