+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mum and I were talking about this the other day actually- she has a lady at work with a teenage daughter whos father has recently had another baby- the mum insists that the new baby is her step-sister and goes nuts if the teenager refers to the bubs as her sister or half sister (never mind the fact the baby IS her half sister)
    She also told mum that I shouldn't refer to my brothers as brothers as they are my step brothers (again they are half brothers!!)

My brothers are my brothers, I don't care that we have differnt dads, we couldn't be closer if we had the same dad. I get really annoyed when people say oh so they aren't really your brothers? Um yes they are!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont have any half sibblings, but my XDP has a bunch. They all just call each other sister or brother. Even now my X's step sibblings call me their 'sister' 'step sister' or 'sister in law'. More often than not they introduce me as sisiter Makes me beam lol My own sister barely calls me that

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have 3 half siblings, I consider them full I guess as we did grow up together,although I sometimes feel leftout when they go to their dads house for dinners etc as my mum isn't with their dad anymore. And they are all close in age and I am a fair bit older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a full sister I grew up with, I also have a half brother who was born when I was 23....I'm nowhere near as close to my little bro as I am to my sis, and while part of that is because he lives 4 hours away, part of it is also because of who his mother is...and that's unlikely to change the older he gets. Doesn't help that every time my Dad foists him on me and my sister he acts like a spoilt brat and gets away with all sorts of stuff my Dad never would have put up with from me and my sis at his age!!

So I guess in summary no I don't see my half bro the same way I see my sis

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont have any half siblings myself, but my daughter has 2. At the minute the relationship she has with them is pretty well non-existent (by their choice) but they are at that awkward teenage age I guess. they have made it very clear she is not classed as their "real" family, however when we talk about them with our daughter we always refer to them as her sisters. As far as we are concerned they are her sisters whether they were half or full. Same same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It was only when reading this thread and the replies that i realised that my 2 girls are half sisters! Ive never thought of that and they are too young to realise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have two full sisters, two half-sisters and two half-brothers. I see them all the same way, but did grow up with them. However, I do distinguish sometimes by referring to 'my two sisters' or 'all my sisters'. Which makes perfect sense in my head!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've seen this thread about 10 times as I click "new posts" and ignored it until the penny finally dropped: babycart, your brother is your half brother!!!

So obviously for me, my brother is my brother. It doesn't even occur to me that he is anything. It. However, we are very close in age and grew up together etc - just happen to have different dads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an 8 year old 'half' sister who is absolutely my Sister. No half about it. My Mum is one of three to three different men lol and they are all Sisters without the 'half'. I guess if it was to different mothers and they lived apart it could be different. My Mum has a few brothers she doesn't know and therefore they are 'half' Brothers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Full

I'm the eldest of 5 and there are 3 different dads. My first sister is close in age to me and the 2 other sisters and my bro are 11+ years younger. I guess because we all lived with our mother that meant a stronger connection, although I wasn't really around when the younger 3 grew up as I left home to go to Uni.

I don't think blood necessarily means someone is or isn't your sibling, I mean if your sibling was adopted would you always refer to that when mentioning them as a sister/brother? Why should a half/step be treated any different from a full if an adopted one isn't (well, they shouldn't be in my view anyway)! Although someone may still have a biological parent different to yours who they still have contact with, does that make them any less a son/daughter of your step-parent or sibling of yours if you are a part of their life?

I wish it was that simple...