+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you *see* your half-siblings?

Do you consider your half-siblings like full-siblings - part of your immediate family - or more like extended family?

Does it depend whether you live(d) with them growing up or not?

Does your child(ren) have half siblings and how do/don't they fit in to your family life?

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two older brothers and two older sisters who are 'half' sibblings,but I don't see them that way. I grew up with them and consider them as much my family as I do the sisters I share both mum and dad with.

My dad had some other kids though and I don't know them well so don't consider them sibblings at all really...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only have the one "full" sibling, but my partner has three half sisters. As far as he (and everyone else in our family) is concerned, they're simply his sisters. That said, they're all much younger than him and he only ever lived with them briefly as a teenager and has no other siblings to compare them too. Even if he did though, I can't imagine that he'd see them any differently. He absolutely adores them, and they're definitely part of our immediate family.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have 3 younger brothers, all technically half siblings, but I've only ever considered them to be my "full" siblings

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My parents divorced after they had me. Mum repartnered and gave me a brother (D) when I was 5.5. Dad remarried, moved to NZ and I have a brother and sister (K and K) down there, 10 and 13 years younger respectively.

I'm very close to D because we grew up together, but K and K are still very important to me. The only reason I kept a relationship with my father was to maintain my relationship with them. I've had several people, usually from traditional families, imply that D, K and K aren't as important as "real" siblings would be. As you can imagine I get very defensive about that! They are my family, the only brothers and sister I've got, and I can see NO reason for anyone to try to lessen their value to me!

I'm lucky that my mum and step mum have both been very inclusive in raising all of us, if either of them had been obstructive I might not have part of the small family I do get to claim. I'm hoping to foster the same type of bond between my stepdaughters and any child I have, but they've already learnt from their mum that any kid dp and I have won't be a "real" sibling.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rutabaga For This Useful Post:

mad house mumma  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Do you consider your half-siblings like full-siblings - part of your immediate family - or more like extended family?

Does it depend whether you live(d) with them growing up or not?

Does your child(ren) have half siblings and how do/don't they fit in to your family life?
    I consider my half sibling to be as much my sister as my younger (full) sister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have two "half" brothers and one "half" sister. I don't consider them half anything, I feel the same about them as I do my "full" brother and it's only when I think about it I realise we don't have the same Dad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    my dd and ds have a half brother and sister. They see them on occasion, and we talk about them sometimes, but I wouldn't say they are close (at this stage) more like distant family/friends. My dd and ds are much closer with their cousins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have 5 half siblings who lived with mum, to me they are my brothers & sisters,
    However Dp has siblings out there from his father whom he does not know and does not consider his "sisters" yet he does consider his half brother and sister he lived with his sister and brother,

I think for me it really depends on if I knew them or not, from a genetic point they are my sibling but I would not tihnk of them the same as I do my sisters that I grew up with,

does that make sense?

If ds's father had children to someone else they would be to me his brothers and sisters and I would fight hard for him to know them or at least have a general idea of them,

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have one full brother I grew up with, and 3 half brothers, the eldest of whom was born when i was 12, and I never lived with my half brothers apart from maybe one night a fortnight until I was about 16. I used to babysit them quite a lot too, on the school holidays and things, so did my oldest brother. They are all just my brothers, I'm in fact closest to my eldest half brother. The only time I ever bring up the fact that the youngest three are half brothers is if someone comments on the age gap.