+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Alcohol related question>>> :-o

Mums: how much do you drink? How often?

I've been very hard on myself this past week as last Friday night I had "one too many" glasses of red on an empty stomach and, basically, got pretty messy. no biggie, I'm an adult, we all do it from time to time, right? But do we? Do YOU?

The worst part is that I have a baby. I shouldn't have reached an intoxicated state, but hell... I'd had a very bad week, very stressful (almost left DP) and one drink just become... I don't even remember. No excuse is OK..

(DP was there and at no point was the baby in danger- she was asleep- but still... got the guilts BAD. Feel like a ****e mum :-( )

edit: I was plastered... I'm not talking about a couple of glasses.. I went ape sh!t.
    Last edited by vulgardisplayofpower; 10-10-2012 at 22:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am not much help as I dont drink at by choice. My last drink was 20 years ago. It just not my thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nawww you poor thing. I don't have kids but I am pretty much permanently wear my Judge McJudgey pants.

I think you're okay. You'd had a rough week, baby was safe and by sounds of it this a rare occasion. I think that's fine. We all have to let off steam every now and then and this was your way of doing it.

Things that would make me judge you/say its not okay is if you were doing it every weekend, if you were responsible for the baby whilst drinking, if you and DP were leaving the baby with grandparents constantly to go drinking.

We've all got to have a bit of fun to stay sane, though by the sounds you didn't have all that much fun.

I have a friend who is constantly leaving her kids with her sister/mum (she is married as well) so she can go partying in Kings Cross and go clubbing etc. I really don't think thats okay.

But if it's your best mates wedding/30th/big celebration/simple girls night out and you just wanna let your hair down, thats okay. Mothering is a full-time job, you got to get a break sometime.

I hope you feel better chickadee and that the headache has subsided and at the risk of sounding like your mother and in a completely non-judgmental way you've learnt something.

Lots of hugs.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (11-10-2012),vulgardisplayofpower  (10-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I am not much help as I dont drink at by choice. My last drink was 20 years ago. It just not my thing.
    Wish I could say the same. I think I binge when stressed... like I'll have hectic week and just want to "unwind" but sometimes my planned couple of glasses becomes... too many to count...
    it's crazy, i was fine 9 months alcohol free during my recent pregnancy, but now that I don't have that to consider, it's like i feel like i have the green light again..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by vulgardisplayofpower View Post
    Wish I could say the same. I think I binge when stressed... like I'll have hectic week and just want to "unwind" but sometimes my planned couple of glasses becomes... too many to count...
    At risk of sounding McJudgey again.....sounds like you've got a bit of stress going on atm, can you talk to your GP or someone about ways to manage your stress/relax that don't involve alcohol? It sounds harsh I know, but you said you binge when you stress, is there something you can try also so that you only have 1 or 2 glasses (which is quite enjoyable) before you start bingeing. Would hate for you to become dependant on alcohol as a stress-manager

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    Nawww you poor thing. I don't have kids but I am pretty much permanently wear my Judge McJudgey pants.

I think you're okay. You'd had a rough week, baby was safe and by sounds of it this a rare occasion. I think that's fine. We all have to let off steam every now and then and this was your way of doing it.

Things that would make me judge you/say its not okay is if you were doing it every weekend, if you were responsible for the baby whilst drinking, if you and DP were leaving the baby with grandparents constantly to go drinking.

We've all got to have a bit of fun to stay sane, though by the sounds you didn't have all that much fun.

I have a friend who is constantly leaving her kids with her sister/mum (she is married as well) so she can go partying in Kings Cross and go clubbing etc. I really don't think thats okay.

But if it's your best mates wedding/30th/big celebration/simple girls night out and you just wanna let your hair down, thats okay. Mothering is a full-time job, you got to get a break sometime.

I hope you feel better chickadee and that the headache has subsided and at the risk of sounding like your mother and in a completely non-judgmental way you've learnt something.

Lots of hugs.
    I've drank maybe 3 or 4 times since having the baby, the first when she was 6 weeks old... I don't do it often and never, EVER plan on drinking too much..

blergh.. just having a go at myself... hating me right now and needed a vent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You already know the answer. The fact that you have recognised a problem of sorts, that you aren't proud of your actions, says something; you need to remind yourself that your INTENTIONS were not bad. Only feel guilty if you intended to get so drunk (ape sh!t, as you put it) and intended to neglect/ not care for your baby. You did not intend this. You are OK, you are not a bad mum in the slightest!
    The next time you feel like a big drink (and if this never occurs, horray! but...) maybe you could go out (or stay in) with friends and at least then, if you have one too many, you will have only been responsible for yourself and not your children. It's not "ideal", but like you said, we all need to unwind and many like a drink to do so.

If alcohol is becoming a problem, get help. If the binge drinking (as described by yourself) is an all too common event of late, then you should look at it addressing it. But by all means, ditch the guilt! You said that you are "hating me" and feeling like crap, Stop torturing yourself! You clearly did not intend this. Forgive yourself and try not to drink when you have your baby to care for. You'll be fine, you're not a bad mum, so many mum's need a drink now and then!!!! Just beware and look after yourself. You stated that you were able easily stop the drink whilst pregnant. Well, why aren't you as important a factor as your unborn bub was? If you stopped drinking for the health of your baby, you can do the same if required for her mum.... YOU.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to endofmyrope For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was similar to you before having bubba. When I was stressed, drinking was one of those things that took my mind off everything. Loved it! Got silly on a few occasions! Too silly sometimes ...
    my view now, since having bubba is that I really want to be a great role model ... I don't want him growing up seeing that, or even seeing casual drinking at home. I am not good at stopping after one, so I plan to just stop. I figure once you have one it becomes a slippery slope. Being a great mum and role model to him is now my priority, and that is all the motivation I need. I know I'll be tempted but I have to stick to it
    all of that said, I am probably a little bit older than you so I don't feel like its a huge social sacrifice
    good luck, cut yourself some slack this time but really think about what choices you really want to make for the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    umm im not sure.. im just not a big drinker..
    I would probably say either my wedding (11-11-11) or new years.. i only drink on special occasions.

dont feel bad,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just because you are a mum doesn't mean you must never get drunk ever. As long as your child is being looked after by a responsible adult then you are free to do whatever you want IMO.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

earthfairy  (11-10-2012),gizmoduckus  (11-10-2012),scarymarygoldfish  (11-10-2012)