+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Children at Baby Shower

My best friend is throwing me a baby shower in a month, the guest list is 35 people and if we include their children it will be 35 adults plus 15 children.

I feel it's too much to expect my friend to host a shower for 50 people, because if I include children they will need to be catered for, entertained, bigger location etc.

Do you think it's rude to not invite children? Should I specify no children or not, knowing if it's not specified many guests will just bring their kids along. Or should I just include them and contribute to the cost of the shower.

Also, if kids do come along, should I organize some type of entertainment for them, I don't want to ruin my friends plans by turning the shower into a kids party, but I also don't want bored kids running around and irritating other guests.

UPDATE: Thanks again for the replies! The majority opinion seems to be that not inviting children is fine, so I think I'll go with that. Shoud I write "adults only" or "no children" etc on the invite, or will writing the Mums name only suffice?
    Last edited by Mama Mirabelle; 11-10-2012 at 09:51. Reason: Update

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont think its rude to not invite children.
    I asked people not to bring children to mine because it would have pushed the numbers out too much. Most people said that was completely fine and didnt intend to bring kids anyway.
    For me personally baby showers are an adults only event.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally have never taken older children to a baby shower. Only breastfed bubs who couldnt be left at home. I dont think you should have to cater to children, it is a large party as it is.

I don't think its rude at all and wouldn't have a problem with being told its 'adults only'. Enjoy your day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm the opposite to PP's. I think it's rude to not invite children, I feel baby showers should be family friendly events. I would be offended if someone said something that in other words meant "please get rid of your children so you can come and celebrate my future child".
    I've only ever been to baby showers with kids all around. They've been so lovely! I mean this is what the mother-to-be is getting herself into afterall.

15 kids really isn't that many at a gathering, they wouldn't eat much and they'd probably all entertain each other and have alot of fun. Can you host it somewhere with a playground? Like at a park or something. If not I would organise something for the kids depending on their ages and the venue. Just something cheap and simple.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your baby shower is a 'traditional' baby shower, with girls only and baby shower games and so on, then, no kids, in my opinion. If it is a gathering for friends, family, both male and female, then kids would be ok. I have been invited to and attended alot of baby showers and it was obvious to me that I would not take my kids lol, and no kids attended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I didn't have children at my baby shower (apart from my breastfeed three month old nephew). Like littleriv said, it depends on the type of party. Mine was a girls' high tea, definitely not child friendly. Yes, it might be a celebration of a future child, but it was also the last time out with my girlfriends before I became a Mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having a family friendly shower with kids, partners and plus 1's invited We're having an afternoon tea party at my cousins place - she has a lovely in ground pool, a safe trampoline and a blow up water slide castle thingie to entertain the kids and a large deck for the adults. I'm looking forward to it.

Each to their own though - if you were after a traditional shower with party games this approach wouldn't work. I personally am not a games person so for me to sit back, eat cake and watch the kids play is perfect! DH is also really excited to be included and its a good chance for him to catch up with friends and family before our LO arrives

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for all the replies. My friend is planning the whole thing with the help of my Mum, as far as I know it's a traditional shower, high tea type thing with games and just general ladies chatting over afternoon tea. Also it's at her house and she has a small house and doesn't have children so there's not much for the kids to entertain themselves.

I think I'll leave the kids names off the invites but I know some guests will bring their kids anyway. Any suggestions for things I can provide to keep them entertained, they range in age from a few months to 6yrs. I don't want to provide anything messy like paint, play dough because as I said its at my friends house, any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't take my kids to a baby shower unless I had absolutely no other option. If that was the case and I took them, I would not expect the host to provide entertainment for them. I would take a small bag of toys/books etc and be aware it was my responsibility to entertain them (and ensure they don't get up to too much mischief ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm having the same dilemma at the moment. My baby shower is in one week and will be at my mother in laws house. I have had a lot of people ask can they bring their children. I answered "My shower will be held at my mother in laws house and there is limited room. At this stage children under 1 yr old can attend"

My motto is if they can walk and talk they can't come. There just isn't enough room, there is a pool (safety) and I just don't get why they think there children should be invited.