+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default formula (Bellamys) causing constipation or dehydrated?

I have recently switched to formula from BF - I got a bit worried as her wet nappies were few and her poop was getting quite firm and not much of it. I realised my supply must've gotten worse and decided to change over.

Soooo, I made the change thinking she would obviously get more intake from bottle feeding. Well she hasn't taken to the bottle and isn't having as much milk as she needs.

The poo situation is just terrible, she cries now every time and is bleeding from the firmness

I am not sure if it is the formula that is causing this or the fact that she is not having enough liquids. I do offer water but probably not as much as I should be in this situation? I am not really keen to keep switching up the formulas, the Holle one did the same. Anyone had this happen? Any tips for helping to soften stools?

The boys were totally fine when they changed over, except they drank normal amounts, I have never had to deal with this, it's so awful to see her in pain.
    Last edited by Little_P; 10-10-2012 at 14:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you tried a goat milk formula? Maybe it's the cows milk in the formula not agreeing with her?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (10-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few things to try?
    Firstly, get an accurate measurement ie a Pyrex jug and check your bottles are accurate. There is no legality in Australia about that. I did it to all of mine on the recommendation of my mchn and not one was accurate past 50mls... (both tommee tippee and generic brand bottles)
    Try adding an extra ten to twenty MLS of water on top of the accurate measurement, ensures they drink a little more water through the day.
    There are a number of things you can give for constipation, we used coloxyl, but you could try prune juice diluted with 50% water or brown sugar and water (one teaspoon to 100mls). DD hated the taste of prune juice though.
    The only formula that DD wasn't constipated on was Novalac... gold formulas were terrible and although she liked and did fairly well on Karicare, she as still having trouble. Once we switched to the novalac we had very few problems.
    Also have you tried a pessary? It helps to soften the hard 'tip' and the rest tends to come out fairly easily after.
    Hope everything settles down for you, we had a lot of problems with DD not drinking the 'required' amounts. Once I stopped stressing about it and realised that she just didn't need as much as other babies we were both happier. If she is pink and gaining weight she is fine. We learnt to work off the motto 'if she's thirsty she'll drink' and just offered bottles all day!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TnA For This Useful Post:

Little_P  (10-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will check the bottles, thanks. i actually got some really cheap ones a while back and they were different to the tomee tippee I thought the cheap ones were to blame...I am now on glass so will check measure them asap.

Elijahs Mum - you know I actually had that thought, that maybe she would like the goat. I think if other things dont work I will try that. Thhinking back, it actually started as soon as I increased supplementation just before I weaned. She was fine with one bottle a day being BF.

The trouble is, she is such a happy baby. Plays and smiles all day, sleeps well. You would never know some days she drinks 300ml of formula! Maybe you are right Elijahs Mum and thats why she doesn't really want it, because it doesn't agree with her?

Arrgh, I so don't need this issue!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default formula (Bellamys) causing constipation or dehydrated?

Tnr I could have written your reply!! We weaned onto goat as it was all she would take... Wouldnt even entertain the other three formulas I tried... But the goat constipated her terribly to the point we ended up in emergency one morning at 3am... We used clonoxil and added an extra 10ml of water per scoop... It also took her a bit of time to build up the amounts of formula she drank... We are now on novalac which I buy off mumgo or groceryrun for rediculusly cheap and it agrees with her a lot more.. No more clonoxil... But still add extra 10ml per scoop but still drinks heaps less then recommended on the tin..