Closed Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And Father, if you were to read the comments under the story on the 60 minutes site, you would find that the term *made my skin crawl* is actually used more than once, so it is not my issue with men.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Nothing of what you said above constitutes a 'hatred of women'. It may be condescending, but it in no way suggests that he 'hates women'.
    Do you have any evidence whatsoever, that shows that he HATES women? That is what misogyny is.
    Misogynists don't run around saying "heh, over here, I'm a misogynist, I hate women!", it's much more subtle and ingrained than that. TA's comments that I have quoted earlier reflect his attitudes towards women in that they are (broadly speaking) less apt than men.

I'll finish with my interpretation of his other quotes I quoted earlier.
    • "I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons" [Read: Women's interests, aptitudes and abilities are physiologically different (ie "less") so women will never dominate or approach equal representation. Patriarchy anyone???]
    • "I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak" [Read: Sometimes the woman should just shut up and put out. Not to overlook the sexist assumption that it's always the man who has the higher sex drive and the woman who withholds.]
    • "What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it’s going to go up in price and their own power bills when they switch the iron on are going to go up, every year…" [I'm just speechless on this one. I'm a 'housewife', he hasn't got a f****** clue. Oh, I've also ironed I think twice in the last 2 years.]
    • "Climate change is absolute crap [Read - a man with no scientific background believes he knows better than the vast majority of scientists and the overwhelming scientific evidence supporting climate change due to human activity] The arrogance is astounding.
    So, from the few quotes that I have quoted (this and my other post) what can we assert from TA about his understanding and beliefs about women?

• If your husband isn't a good husband then suck it up and live with it because at least you've got a husband.
    • He believes women who seek an abortion do so as a matter of convenience and it's an easy way out. (From someone who will NEVER have to face that decision.)
    • He describes an unwanted pregnancy is an "awkward situation". Tell that to a rape victim.
    • He describes abortion figures as a "national tragedy", leaving a legacy of "unutterable shame" the subtext being that women should feel responsible for this "shame".
    Despite believing he does represent women the man is a backward, arrogant, ?!*%!?*. He hasn't got a frikkin' clue about women.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

delirium  (11-10-2012),Ellewood  (11-10-2012),Gandalf  (11-10-2012),Luna Lovegood  (11-10-2012),meatpopsicle  (12-10-2012),misskittyfantastico  (11-10-2012),MissMuppet  (11-10-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (11-10-2012),sweetsugardumplin'  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    No one in his position would get there and remain there by outwardly expressing a hatred for half of the population of the country. He does however demonstrate his hatred of women in more subtle ways that are easily discounted as *old fashioned*, *conservative*, or even *clumsy* by trivialising women and their roles in their homes and the workplace, by diminishing a women's right to decide what happens to her body and treating women who have earned their place in the political arena (whom in my opinion are his intellectual superiors, ie Julie Bishop) not as equals, but through use of language as already mentioned, as subordinate.
    I guess I'll respond to each post in turn.

Is it a hatred of women? Really? Are you saying that one cannot be conservative and old fashioned without 'hating women'? I'm sure the men back in the 50's did not 'hate' women despite the inequality at the time.
    Aren't we all entitled to a view on abortion? Does it make someone a misogynist just because they are 'pro-life'?
    He does not treat the women in his party any different than he treats the men. Ask Julie Bishop or Sophie Mirabella. You seem to be reading sexism out of nothing.
    It just so happens that he is the leader of the party. That means that all members are 'subordinate' to him, regardless of their gender.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    Simply- he does not support equal rights, hold women in the same class as men, and does not believe a woman should have personal autonomy over herself.

How on earth would a man like him know that an abortion is the easy way out? How insensitive. A complete contradiction to his current 'I'm so feminine I cry to Downtown Abbey' campaign.

Why does he need to be condescending to the 'housewives of Australia' about the price of electricity increasing as they do their ironing? How ridiculous and what a stupid comment.

And he poses the view that limited numbers of women being in positions or power isn't a bad thing...why? Doesn't he want his daughters to have equal footing ground professionally if they desired a position of power? Does he believe that women are incapable to their male counterparts? Because that is the subtext...

...Because if he wants to know what misogyny looks like he needs a mirror...
    Yes he does believe in equal rights. A view on abortion does not mean that women are in a different class. I don't see why you are all thinking that this means he hates women.
    Is a woman who is against abortion a misogynist too?

The iron consumes a great deal of electricity. Therefore, using the iron will drive your electricity bill up. Would it have made you happier if he said 'housepeople'? It was an example. Maybe next time he'll use an example of a male day care worker using a washing machine.

And it isn't a bad thing to have disproportionate numbers in the workplace. People should be employed based on their merits. Not their gender. The idea of quotas, in my opinion, is an example of sexism.

His daughters are doing quite well. He is proud of them all. His Chief of Staff is in a position of power. His deputy is in a position of power. I think you are a little blind to these facts.

Misogyny. The hatred of women. Do you think he hates his daughters and his wife???

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Lovegood View Post
    You're right...but I don't treat people I respect with contempt, I don't disrespect them, undervalue their role in society, condemn them, express desire to control their personal bodily autonomy....that's generally behaviour I reserve for people I dislike or hate...and even then, it's a bit far
    He does none of the above. He does, however, think that Gillard is hopeless. Her gender is irrelevant. He thinks that Swan is equally hopeless.

Again, what is a women who is against abortion? Is that misogyny?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    And Father, if you were to read the comments under the story on the 60 minutes site, you would find that the term *made my skin crawl* is actually used more than once, so it is not my issue with men.
    I guess you are not alone in your issue with men. Just because others think the same, does not make it right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (11-10-2012),Gandalf  (11-10-2012),Luna Lovegood  (11-10-2012),meatpopsicle  (12-10-2012),misskittyfantastico  (11-10-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (11-10-2012),sweetsugardumplin'  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I'll finish with my interpretation of his other quotes I quoted earlier.
    My bold. The fact that you have to 'interpret' his quotes speaks volumes. You are reading way too much into isolated quotes with no context.

By the way. Anthropogenic climate change is absolute crap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Yes he does believe in equal rights.
    He might 'believe' in them but he doesn't demonstrate this belief through his thoughts and opinions.

A view on abortion does not mean that women are in a different class. I don't see why you are all thinking that this means he hates women.
    Is a woman who is against abortion a misogynist too?
    Of course he is entitled to have a anti-abortion opinion, that is not the issues. However, to call abortion an easy way out and a matter of convenience for the woman demonstrates absolutely no idea what a woman could possibly be thinking at such a point in her life. It also further demonstrates his arrogance as he thinks he does know how a woman would feel in one of the most difficult and desperate times of her life, making a decision that he will NEVER have to make.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (11-10-2012),Luna Lovegood  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    By the way. Anthropogenic climate change is absolute crap.
    Oh yes, I forgot. You also know better than 99% of the scientists in the world too. Tell me again what your scientific credentials are?

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (11-10-2012),Gandalf  (11-10-2012),Izy  (11-10-2012),kw123  (11-10-2012),meatpopsicle  (12-10-2012),sweetsugardumplin'  (11-10-2012),Witwicky  (11-10-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast