Closed Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If someone behaves in a sexist manner, that is not on!
    But it's not a competition - you can't say `Oh well yeah Tony is sexist, but he's not as sexist as Peter' and somehow think that lets him off the hook.

Mr Abbotts's atttiude toward females, in general is appalling.
    Mr Slipper's overall behaviour and conduct is disgusting

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Julia should have sacked and not backed slipper.

She showed true balls in her speech to Abbot.

Sure Abbot is old fashioned but he's not that dangerous...sure he comes out with some gaffes but thats because he's a buffoon.
    Now you've totally gone and ruined it!
    Why does Julia need to `have balls' to stand up to a man?!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetsugardumplin' For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-10-2012),Gandalf  (11-10-2012),meatpopsicle  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetsugardumplin' View Post
    Mr Abbotts's atttiude toward females, in general is appalling.
    I hear this statement quite frequently, but cannot see it.
    What has he done that so appalls you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    You all might find these videos entertaining.

http://youtu.be/BNZ3a843aIg

http://youtu.be/57AZoqKQyZQ

Days when Julia and Tony got along. I don't think she thought he was 'misogynist' then!
    Entertaining because they have been put together in sequence to be so?

I don't find that flirting. I find that them making light of a situation because they are on a droll morning show and that is the mood. They clearly aren't really friends or flirting.

Not to mention it is still sexist. A woman is laughing and smiling at a man? Must mean she wants him... it couldn't mean that she is playing up to the political needs of the audience on the show. No, no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    Entertaining because they have been put together in sequence to be so?

I don't find that flirting. I find that them making light of a situation because they are on a droll morning show and that is the mood. They clearly aren't really friends or flirting.

Not to mention it is still sexist. A woman is laughing and smiling at a man? Must mean she wants him... it couldn't mean that she is playing up to the political needs of the audience on the show. No, no.
    Woah. I think you may be reading way too much into all of this.

At the end of the day. Slipper produced some pretty disgusting text messages. He should not be the Speaker of the house. Gillard said that he should. He has since stood down.
    I do not understand why this has magically turned into an attack on Abbott. I guess it is because he is responsible for EVERYTHING!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Haven't watched it all, I've just heard snippets of the speech.
    What has he actually said that demonstrates that he is a misogynist?
    So has he actually demonstrated any misogyny? If so, how?
    What boys club? The one with Bishop as deputy and his female COS?
    He referred to Julie Bishop as either a "good girl" or "loyal girl". I have never heard him refer to Joe Hockey as a "good boy". It is incredibly condescending language to level at a colleague.

I have seen him in footage with his very own wife where they were having a hit around with a cricket bat and his wifes hit was a bit ordinary and even at her, he was terribly condescending. I can't recall his exact reaction but he sort of laughed and made light of her attempt, like she was never expected to do better.

I found the 60 Minutes episode of him with in the pool with his daughters a bit unsettling. I am in no way suggesting that there was anything inappropriate about their relationship, but that he considered them to be little girls, not as (young) women.

Also the many things that have already been quoted about abortion, housewives and their ironing etc. All of these quotes seek to diminish women, their role in society and their rights to bodily autonomy.

Julia should have sacked and not backed slipper.
    She did not back Slipper, she denounced his actions and is allowing due process to find a resolution.

Sure Abbot is old fashioned but he's not that dangerous...sure he comes out with some gaffes but thats because he's a buffoon.
    I disagree, his conservatism is dangerous and should he be elected, I fear for what might happen. Of course he will not come out openly and blatantly make sweeping changes, but it would be insidious changes that would wind back the clock in terms of equality.

I for one am glad that JG is on the record as calling him a misogynist so that people can see him for what he is.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-10-2012),cmd'smum  (11-10-2012),Ellewood  (11-10-2012),Gandalf  (11-10-2012),meatpopsicle  (12-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    He referred to Julie Bishop as either a "good girl" or "loyal girl". I have never heard him refer to Joe Hockey as a "good boy". It is incredibly condescending language to level at a colleague.

I have seen him in footage with his very own wife where they were having a hit around with a cricket bat and his wifes hit was a bit ordinary and even at her, he was terribly condescending. I can't recall his exact reaction but he sort of laughed and made light of her attempt, like she was never expected to do better.

I found the 60 Minutes episode of him with in the pool with his daughters a bit unsettling. I am in no way suggesting that there was anything inappropriate about their relationship, but that he considered them to be little girls, not as (young) women.

Also the many things that have already been quoted about abortion, housewives and their ironing etc. All of these quotes seek to diminish women, their role in society and their rights to bodily autonomy.

She did not back Slipper, she denounced his actions and is allowing due process to find a resolution.

I disagree, his conservatism is dangerous and should he be elected, I fear for what might happen. Of course he will not come out openly and blatantly make sweeping changes, but it would be insidious changes that would wind back the clock in terms of equality.

I for one am glad that JG is on the record as calling him a misogynist so that people can see him for what he is.
    Nothing of what you said above constitutes a 'hatred of women'. It may be condescending, but it in no way suggests that he 'hates women'.

I'm sure he would have laughed and made light of John Howard's attempt at bowling too. This says nothing about sexism or misogyny.

I do not understand why you found him swimming with his children unsettling. The fact that you found it unsettling speaks more about your views of men.

The court case of Slipper is irrelevant in this matter. She does not need to wait for the judge to be able to use her own judgement that a person in his position should not treat women in that way. The court will not find him guilty of being a sexist or misogyny as he was not charged for these.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever, that shows that he HATES women? That is what misogyny is.
    Last edited by Father; 11-10-2012 at 18:43.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

FertileMertile  (11-10-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Do you have any evidence whatsoever, that shows that he HATES women? That is what misogyny is.
    No one in his position would get there and remain there by outwardly expressing a hatred for half of the population of the country. He does however demonstrate his hatred of women in more subtle ways that are easily discounted as *old fashioned*, *conservative*, or even *clumsy* by trivialising women and their roles in their homes and the workplace, by diminishing a women's right to decide what happens to her body and treating women who have earned their place in the political arena (whom in my opinion are his intellectual superiors, ie Julie Bishop) not as equals, but through use of language as already mentioned, as subordinate.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-10-2012),Rutabaga  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear this statement quite frequently, but cannot see it.
    What has he done that so appalls you?
    Simply- he does not support equal rights, hold women in the same class as men, and does not believe a woman should have personal autonomy over herself.

How on earth would a man like him know that an abortion is the easy way out? How insensitive. A complete contradiction to his current 'I'm so feminine I cry to Downtown Abbey' campaign.

Why does he need to be condescending to the 'housewives of Australia' about the price of electricity increasing as they do their ironing? How ridiculous and what a stupid comment.

And he poses the view that limited numbers of women being in positions or power isn't a bad thing...why? Doesn't he want his daughters to have equal footing ground professionally if they desired a position of power? Does he believe that women are incapable to their male counterparts? Because that is the subtext...

...Because if he wants to know what misogyny looks like he needs a mirror...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-10-2012),MissMuppet  (11-10-2012),sweetsugardumplin'  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're right...but I don't treat people I respect with contempt, I don't disrespect them, undervalue their role in society, condemn them, express desire to control their personal bodily autonomy....that's generally behaviour I reserve for people I dislike or hate...and even then, it's a bit far

For what it's worth, you can bicker and troll in this thread all you like- but the Liberal Party obviously acknowledges TA weakness and how the females of Australia receive him and his message, otherwise they wouldn't be investing in this new marketing campaign to feminise him would they?

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-10-2012),Ellewood  (11-10-2012),Izy  (11-10-2012),meatpopsicle  (12-10-2012),misskittyfantastico  (11-10-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (11-10-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast