Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Yes it was rather good, I especially liked the look on TA's face. As the OP said, I'm not always in team Julia but I have never been in team Abbot. Hopefully this might get her some deserved credit. I'm not expecting her to be everyone's favourite but I don't understand why she's so vilified.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Izy  (11-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Loved seeing our PM passionately denouncing Abbott's sexism, even armed with quotes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I loved it, fantastic. It was straight forward and just made me feel good about our Prime minister.

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just read the transcript..............fantastic - it looks like some big things are happening at the moment. Alan Jones and the Destroy the Joint collective, Ms Gillard giving Mr Abbott a serve....about bloody time too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just watched the video now - fantastic speech!

I am thrilled that Julia has publically called Mr Abbott out and made it clear for all to see exactly what he is. Whatever your political persuasion, I think it's hard to argue that many of the comments made by the opposition leader and his supporters (eg. Alan Jones) are not grounded in some deep-seated fear and mistrust of women. They would never have levelled many of their comments at the PM, nor plastered her with such offensive labels as "witch", if she were male.

It is unfortunate that the misogynists who were the target of today's speech will likely not reflect on what she said, much less change their attitudes and behaviour. But I think it sets a wonderful example for the women of Australia - if you see sexism, you don't have to (and shouldn't) tolerate it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Izy  (11-10-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What disappoints me is how the real issues have been lost.

for example:

And yet, nearly every main****** media outlet in Australia led the day with the Slipper story.

None of this simply to defend Julia Gillard. In fact, one of the most telling pieces on the day's events came not from the main****** media, but from the blog of the Overland journal, and it was far more incisive, eloquent and devastating in its criticism of the PM:

If winning or losing in politics was merely a matter of who had the best one-liners to throw along with their stones, then Gillard won yesterday hands down. But politics is not simply about whip-smart wisecracks and cutting speeches. It's about policies and practices, legislation and social organisation.

Yesterday, the Gillard Government also passed welfare reforms through the Senate that will cut single parent payments by between $56 and $140 a week. This is a measure that will disproportionately affect women, and particularly those in the sectors of society that the Labor Party is traditionally supposed to represent.

... If we want to stand up for women, let's start by standing up for these women.

Can't we get rid of all the gender issues that have been put forward here, as I have so many issues with Julia Gillard which have nothing to do with her gender and actually address the real issues here.

Actually, I don't give a &*(^ about how each of the members address each other in the parliament, I don't think Julia Gillard giving TA a ****** is really a step forward for womens lib, I think it is a smokescreen for what really happened today in parliament which is the issue with Slipper.

We all know that in parliament all of the parties act as basically 5year olds towards each other. It is never put forward as mysogynistic but it is basically immature interaction. It doesn't matter whether it's put forward by labor or liberal, it is the way that these people interact.

The bigger problem is that a lot of the media regarding this sort of stuff is there to deflect from the bigger picture.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

adz  (11-10-2012),Father  (11-10-2012),FertileMertile  (11-10-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Pegasus, how is the Slipper business 'the real issue'? For something that had nothing to do with parliamentary business (as it is a matter before the courts) it sure had taken up a lot of time.

I think the abhorrent view of women that the opposition leader has IS the big issue,vit is the biggest issue.
    the man at the moment is the alternative to be the leader of our country. He has shown in the past that he will let his disgusting views affect his policy decisions. How is that not the biggest issue??
    I for one, fist pumped when i saw the speech.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-10-2012),DailyDiversion  (11-10-2012),Ellewood  (11-10-2012),Gandalf  (11-10-2012),LotusMum  (11-10-2012),meatpopsicle  (12-10-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was so disheartened to read the comments on the courier mail website (the intellectual equivalent of cutting) that most people commenting interpreted her as defending peter slipper. She absolutely denounced his actions whilst she explained that she would not stand by and watch the pot call the kettle black.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 11-10-2012 at 07:33.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I think the abhorrent view of women that the opposition leader has IS the big issue,vit is the biggest issue.
    the man at the moment is the alternative to be the leader of our country. He has shown in the past that he will let his disgusting views affect his policy decisions. How is that not the biggest issue??
    I totally agree. I think the country should know more about the line of thinking and supporting arguments Abbott purports:

Immigration:
    • "Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it's not necessarily everyone's place to come to Australia." Q&A April 2010

On rights at work:
    • "If we’re honest, most of us would accept that a bad boss is a little bit like a bad father or a bad husband … you find that he tends to do more good than harm. He might be a bad boss but at least he’s employing someone while he is in fact a boss." ABC Dec 2002 [Read: if your husband is crap, suck it up love at least you've got a husband]

On women and abortion:

• "The problem with the Australian practice of abortion is that an objectively grave matter has been reduced to a question of the mother’s convenience." TA's website [Read: he has an insight into the psyche of any and all Australian women who seek an abortion and believes that women seek abortion as a matter of convenience/the easy way out]
    • "Abortion is the easy way out. It's hardly surprising that people should choose the most convenient exit from awkward situations." [Read: Abortion is an "easy" option and an unwanted pregnancy is an "awkward situation".]
    • In 2004 he described abortion figures as a "national tragedy", leaving a legacy of "unutterable shame" (the subtext being that women should feel responsible for this "shame".) [Above 2 bullet points taken from here]

I need to go out right now so I don't have time to get the rest referenced (because I don't like quoting people without providing references) but some more gems from Abbott.
    • "I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons"
    • "I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak"
    • "What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it’s going to go up in price and their own power bills when they switch the iron on are going to go up, every year…"
    On climate change:
    • "Climate change is absolute crap
    • "If you want to put a price on carbon why not just do it with a simple tax."
    I'm reading this very interesting article on the vilification of Gillard. I haven't got through it all yet but it does pose some very interesting questions. Warning - some of the language and pictures are "R" rated, definitely not one to open at work!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (11-10-2012),meatpopsicle  (12-10-2012),Rutabaga  (11-10-2012),shelle65  (11-10-2012),Shout It Out  (11-10-2012),Sonja  (11-10-2012)

cmd'smum is offline Administrator
    I'm coming to get you Linda... ribbbit
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    this is ALL about sexism. blabbot is an example of the way women are still viewed in the workplace in general, not just politics. Australian women still don't have equality in the workplace and this is 2012. No male PM has had references to him that go the core of his gender. It was not about politics, it's not about which party one aligns with, the issue is gender discrimination in the workplace and I'm so happy that our PM came out and defended herself and ALL women in Australia by showing the values (or disgusting view) a possible future PM holds of half the population of this country. So thank you for sticking up for us Julia! Because that is what she did. I hope any woman who is exposed to disgustingly sexist behaviour does the same, otherwise sex discrimination will continue to be accepted as a norm in the workplace.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cmd'smum For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (11-10-2012),Izy  (11-10-2012),shelle65  (11-10-2012)