+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Disability Pension for Bipolar

My depression/bipolar is holding me back severly lately, but being a single mum I need to work to survive, especially as I may be placed on newstart come January.

So I'm thinking of applying for disability pension instead of single parenting.

Has anyone does this? I'm diagnosed bipolar so it's not like this is just a depression episode that will get better.

Can you still claim FTB etc on this? Is bipolar a disability they will consider?

I am seeing my doctor Friday to discuss options but just wanted to see if anyone had successfully done this.

TIA.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally know two people who have tried to get the disability pension because of severe mental conditions. The first one went through so much crap to get it and then she was only successful because she also had a severe back condition which requires surgery etc and she is not young. The other was a male friend and they gave it to him for a short time, but he had to attend all these appts with their phycologists etc and then after a while they cut off his disability pension and put him on newstart. So from what I have seen it is really hard to get a disability pension based on mental conditions, but it could be different for other peole I am not sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was put on DSP when I was 17 for borderline and severe anxiety
    My psychiatrist had to fill out the medical report and I had to attend a meeting to assess my ability to work.
    In almost 5 years, I have never had to have a review.
    Since then I have also been diagnosed with MS, so that may be a contributing factor.
    That being said, at the time I was severely depressed, in and put of psych wards and either constantly suicidal or drugged to the eyeballs, so it would have to be pretty severe.
    I say go for it, the worst they can do is say no.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I am diagnosed with major depression, and have been on the disability pension now for around 5 years.
    In the beginning, they put me on newstart for a year, and then I attended a heap of appts with their drs and they eventually put me on disability.
    I see a phsychiatrist who occasionally fills out forms to 'renew' my status. It can be difficult at first, with appts and referrals and forms etc.. but in my experience, I have been on the pension for, as I said before around 5 yrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls.

Yeah I have heard it can be very hard to be approved for.

At the moment I am on so many medications just to keep me stable it's not funny, my anxiety is so bad lately I struggle to leave the house, Valium has become my saviour.

I know at the moment there is no way I'm capable of full time work so I don't know what else to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    Thanks girls.

Yeah I have heard it can be very hard to be approved for.

At the moment I am on so many medications just to keep me stable it's not funny, my anxiety is so bad lately I struggle to leave the house, Valium has become my saviour.

I know at the moment there is no way I'm capable of full time work so I don't know what else to do.
    Try asking your psych about it and what he/she thinks of the situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a close family member who has poorly managed schizophrenia and he has always been refused the disability pension. Absolutely ridiculous IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Centrelink keep telling me I'm eligible for it (I have Bipolar 11, PTSD, and Borderline), but each time I apply I get knocked back because I can't always meet their requirements... It also depends on the people interviewing you. I am not currently on medication due to the fact that I am pregnant and need to reconnect with my original psych. I say: discuss it with your psych, then apply!!! the worst they can do is knock you back and put you on SPP or NS. (In your case SPP, mine is NS).

Hope this helps. If you want someone to chat to send me a PM!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my pre kids life as a mental health worker I have helped a few people with bipolar fill out their application forms for centrelink. You can definitely be approved for DSP with this condition, but it all depends on what boxes you tick on the DSP application. I'd suggest picking up the paperwork, having a read through and taking it in to your doc/psych. Centrelink use a point score system with the box questions and if the score is high enough you qualify, if it isn't you don't. Hope you get the support you need OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The medical condition needs to be fully treated, diagnosed and stabilised for DSP to be granted.

best thing to do is talk with your Dr

still apply, you never know if your eligible until your claim is assessed.