+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Need advice regarding travel money

I am an overseas travelling novice so please excuse my lack of knowledge...!

We are travelling to Fiji next week for 4 nights and we have never been overseas before.

I have to make arrangements regarding our spending money - just wondering what suggestions anyone can make regarding taking money over.

My friend suggested we simply go to a bank and get our AUD converted into Fiji dollars so we just use cash over there, but I guess I'm just a little concerned about carrying around lots of cash.

Can you get some form of prepaid keycard you can load up with some money? I've been advised using credit cards isn't a great idea due to the fees.

Any help or advice will be appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lucky you as I am a Fiji travel expert haha depending on what you are worried about paying for.. most places won't have eftpos facilities except for the resort. Where are you staying? Most resorts have safes in therooms so I would check with them. Some resorts also have ATMs and the major towns have anz and Westpac ATMs so you can withdraw money over there.
    I hope you enjoy your trip Fiji is my second home, when I am here I get homesick for Fiji haha

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (10-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, depending where you live, some Australia posts have money exchange facilities with zero fees

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrstuilawa View Post
    Lucky you as I am a Fiji travel expert haha depending on what you are worried about paying for.. most places won't have eftpos facilities except for the resort. Where are you staying? Most resorts have safes in therooms so I would check with them. Some resorts also have ATMs and the major towns have anz and Westpac ATMs so you can withdraw money over there.
    I hope you enjoy your trip Fiji is my second home, when I am here I get homesick for Fiji haha
    We are staying at a resort, on Denarau Island.

So you think just cash is probably the best way to go? Can you use your normal australian keycard in an ATM over there? Do you get enormous fees for doing so?

Thanks
    Reviews
    For a short stay I would do cash. Did you purchase an all inclusive pack or will you be paying for meals and drinks as you go? If this is the case I would charge everything to your room then you just sign off on it and have it charged to your card at the end of your stay. That way you won't really need much cash because food and drinks would be a large chunk of your money.
    Also check with Australia post, I'm pretty sure they do travel cards that you can load up and then use overseas but I'm not sure what the fees would be like.
    I am with anz so ny fees weren't terribly high when withdrawing money, but I tried to only do it once every few weeks (my last trip was 6 months) to minimise fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    when we went to thailand, we took 2g over with us, and exchanged it there for a better rate. look into if Aus or Fiji offers a better rate.

we kept equal to 100 on each of us, each day and used the in room safes for the rest. you set the pin each time you close the door.

for our 3 wk holiday, we withdrew cash once, to pay for our resort tab.

this method worked really well for us.