+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Epilepsy in Children

So I am a little bit freaked out at the moment. DS school teacher came and saw DH after school yesterday as she is concerned our about DS she said he is 'vauging out' in class. She also spoke to DH about it last term but yesterday she was really concerned and has urged us to take DS to the GP as she is a bit concerned he may have epilepsy. I am getting all this info second hand from DH as he does school pick up however I am going to see the teacher after school today to get a better idea of how serious this is. She basically said that he just stares ahead and is totally unresponsive and then suddenly snaps out of it. I dont know if I should be worried, but I am!! He has sensory processing and auditory processing disorder and I am more concerned that his auditory issues are regressing. Has anyone else had similar experiences? I am thinking I should try and book him in to see our pead and bypass the GP - she has been instrumental in his diagnosis of Sensory and auditory processing disorder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    have you noticed anything different at home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    not really, he does sometimes zone out and go to another place but dont most kids? I have noticed that sometimes he will repeatedly blink then space out for a while, when he is really spaced out you can call and call him and he does not respond for a little while - I put it down to his auditory issues to be honest. I have made an appointment with our pead, I am not panicking but I think its better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What your describing can sound like focal seizures. They look they are daydreaming. My daughter had her first generalised seizure Feb last year when she was 2yr 7mths. The first was just so scary. Her second was a focal seizure as you describe. Once you see the gp he will more than likely send you to either a paed or a paed neurologist. And they will more than likely request an EEG. Whereby they place quite a few electrodes on the head and read the brain waves. Which will help give a diagnosis. You can stay with your child the entire time, having them sit on your lap. The EEG' s can sometimes be done 'sleep deprived'. Which means you have to keep you child extremely tired then let them fall asleep once the electrodes are on. Feel free to ask anything. Good luck

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

katyts  (11-08-2013),lovelymum  (16-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much wigglemum, I am now a bit worried. I went and saw his teacher myself after school today as like I said DH does school pick up because I work fulltime and he is the stay at home parent now. So I had a chat with his teacher and she is very concerned mainly because he spaces out and is non reactive to her calling his name, waving her hand in front of his face and then when he snaps out of it he can be a bit disorientated - not good I feel really scared now, rang our pead and am on the cancellation list

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd take your DS to the GP and get referred onto a paed. What you a describing sounds exactly like the seizures my son used to have, and they did have some quite negative affects on his development etc. I don't say that lightly or to scare you, I'd suggest researching absence seizures, or partial seizures, and asking the teacher to note when this happens so you can track it. That way when you get in you have information ready to go about frequency etc. I've been though this so please PM me if you'd like to talk.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flyawayfree For This Useful Post:

lovelymum  (16-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cant really give you mich info about the diagnoses part as I was very young at the time.
    But my sister was diagnosed with epilepsy when she was 4 years old and her seizures were like that... they called it petit mal I think as in they were not severe seizures.
    she had no shaking or jerking etc, her eyes would just lock off like she was daydreaming, sometimes she made funny noises - like clicking her mouth, and she couldnt respond if you were talking to her. My parents would put her into the recovery position and after a couple of minutes she would come around. She would be a bit tired/disorientated for a little while afterwards. For her it mostly seemed to happen at night so I dont think she ever had one at school. She was medicated for it and was able to be weaned from medication by the time she was 13. At 23 she was declared free of seizures after not having any seizures since stopping the medication after being med free for 10 years. She is now 29 with no lingering issues.
    Last edited by erinn; 11-10-2012 at 13:07.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to erinn For This Useful Post:

lovelymum  (16-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't worry, I totally get how scared you are feeling. If you want to, don't be afraid to go to the emergency department at your local hospital after you have witnessed one. It can help speed up the process. Don't be surprised if they want to do an MRI, just to rule out any nasty stuff. If you do go to the er they can often book you straight in for an EEG. Things often happen quicker once your in the system instead of just waiting for appointments. And don't google!! It often scares you even more.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

lovelymum  (16-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much, we are seeing our pead in a few weeks and she asked me to keep track of his 'turns' the school teacher bless her heart is going to try to record it on her iPhone. Hope your little guy is doing ok xxx

Blakeveiw SA (but don't hold that against me :P)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I know this is an older thread, but firstly I wanted to see how you went with your son lovelymum? Did they end up diagnosing anything??

My 4yo DS was recently diagnosed with Focal Discognitive seizures, they initally started out as absence seuizures, where he would stare off into the distance (without blinking at all) and you couldn't get his attention no matter what you did, but sadly escalated to him having slight twitches as he stared off into he distance and he wet himself.
    He is currently on carbamezapine twice a day and is booked into to have a MRI and lumbar puncture in mid September...

I don't know how worried to be about the test, and to be honest I try my best to not think about it all, but I'm quietly scared that my little boy isn't at peak health, and how do I help him through this?? He doesn't remember the seizures, the first thing he knows is that his pants are wet and I'm beside him trying to hide the fear in my face/ eyes.

Any advice would be great please.