+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waitinghoping View Post
    I dont agree. Yes we are behind some countries in regards to maternity leave, but we are also way ahead of many others who dont have anything at all! I like that the government is chipping in towards maternity / paternity leave and yes, it is a step in the right direction. But it should only be a "Supplement" not a wage.

Why do people presume that the government should foot the bill to keep their lifestyle at their "pre-baby" level? I dont think that paid maternity / paternity leave should match a persons wage, particularly if they are a high income earner. If people are earning a decent wage and are going to have a baby.... why cant they plan ahead, budget and save for their time off as many women have done before paid maternity leave even existed? Yes, it might be tight for some, but ability to stay home longer must be an incentive I am in this exact boat now.

Paid maternity leave (if I even get it) will not match my income and I am the primary bread-winner in our house. We know we will be worse off when I am home when bubs #2 arrives but we have re-jigged our budget and are saving towards it. I dont "expect" to get the paid maternity leave and DH get the paternity leave, but it will be nice if we do.

As for businesses having to pay for maternity leave / paternity leave (or "filling the gap" between the government supplement and an employees wage) again I dont agree for the exact same reason The employee is going on "leave". Why should the employer have to fund it when they already fund sick / annual leave etc? Particularly small businesses who cant afford it? DH and I own a small business and having to foot the bill of paying for a staff-members maternity/paternity leave PLUS putting on a new employee to cover the one missing is not financially viable. Not all employers are big companies making millions so have money to spend on things like this!

Just my thoughts. Please dont flame me!
    Certainly not going to flame you! You are entitled to your view, I just entirely disagree. Most likely because I am from the UK and have seen that it can and does work. I know their economy is in a state now but this is not because of paid maternity leave which has been around for ages! My parents are small business owners in the UK with mainly female employees so they do get hit hard by it, both financially and logistically. But they knew this before starting the business. Its just a cost of business over there, and they manage it like everyone else. They certainly don't make millions.

I do think your choice of wording "government should foot the bill to keep their lifestyle at their "pre-baby" level" is a tad inflammatory. While obviously that would be the aim of keeping paid maternity leave at usual wage level for a period of time (not suggesting a year!), it is not for "lifestyle" reasons in the way that I think you are suggesting. Its for mortgage payments and bills that don't suddenly go away when you have a baby. The Govt WANT people to have babies, that is why they offer financial incentives.

And just lastly, can you tell me which countries we are well ahead of in this regard? I assume you are comparing apples with apples? The only one I know off the top of my head is the USA and that is nothing to be proud of. They are shocking!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find the government allowances incredibly generous for some people (I.e people like DH & I). I get maternity leave at full pay for 3 months yet I'm still eligible for the Govt ppl. Incredible!

DH will have to take unpaid leave so the small amount is better than nothing. We will certainly use it. Again, I think it's quite generous.

We have saved hard for this bub & for a period of maternity leave and had never factored in the Govt allowances. It just didn't occur to us. So when we found out what is offered we were overwhelmed. We aren't loaded by the way, so this $ will simply take the pressure off a little.

But OP, I note that in your circumstances it's not ideal. But still better than nothing, right? If nothing else, it might allow your DH to take more time off with you & bub? That's still an advantage, but not so much a financial gain.

Side note, isn't Abbott pushing for a scheme where the PPL rate does match the mothers existing salary?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by our3boys View Post
    It's a complete bonus for us. Dh is self employed sub contractor and we get around 40k a year not sure what minimum wage is but we are great at saving we have to as if it rains we don't get paid and at Christmas his boss shuts up for 3-4 weeks so we are going to take it at Christmas time not that we need it as like I said we budget for weeks with no pay.
    Same with us, when we had our first dh could only have 2 days off as he is a sub contractor so no pay. With dd who was born in March we were so great full that he could take two weeks off. Sure it's not the same amount as if he worked but sure is better then nothing and him having to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is a very interesting article for anyone interested:

www.sapo.org.au/binary/binary11961/Parental.pdf

Until recently, Australia was one of only two OECD countries without a national parental leavescheme. However, in its 2009-10 Budget the Australian Labor government announced theintroduction of a paid parental leave scheme to commence on 1 January 2011.

After analysing the details of the Australian scheme in relation to these criteria the study concludesthat the Australian paid parental leave scheme is an important advance towards improving theposition of women in the labour market and will be of benefit for the many women currently withoutaccess to paid parental leave. However, the Australian scheme falls short of the standards provided inthe best of the European schemes in several aspects and it identifies a number of areas where theAustralian provisions could be improved in order to encourage further shifts towards gender equalitywithin households and in society. These initiatives include:
    o increasing the level of parental leave payment to more closely match parents’ normalearnings;
    o increasing the provision of fathers’ or partners’ only leave to a level that encourages agreater level of responsibility for parenting;

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I first read the OP my first thought was that there is no reason why the government should pay any more than it does for paternity leave. But, after reading the rest of the thread - particularly kw123's post above - I'm starting to think that there would be some real social benefits from making paternity leave more appealing and accessible.
    No amount of maternity leave will lead to equality in the workforce for mothers because taking time off work means less career opportunities, regardless of how much you get paid for that time off. The only way to promote equality is to encourage both men and women to take equal (or close to equal) responsibilty for their family, and that means allowing men the same access to parental leave entitlements and making it much more appealing for them to take leave to stay home with the family.
    Encouraging women to take parental leave through financial incentives, while not encouraging men to do the same, does not promote equality in the workforce.
    Last edited by Meg2; 10-08-2013 at 11:07.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

kw123  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course both parents are entitled to Govt PPL but obviously the vast majority of recipients are women.

The report I linked to also looks at gender.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think we are lucky but the inconsistencies bug me. I work for a huge organisation and we don't get paid maternity leave. Our job will be held for 12 months. So I rely heavily on the gvt payments for both me and DH. He wouldn't be able to take any leave if not for ppl. The issues that get me are that some ppl can end up with 12 months paid leave with gvt payments, plus paid leave from work and annual leave and long service payments. I know that annual leave and long service are entitled its just the other payments should be equal. If you get ppl from work, should you really be eligible from the gvt as well? If so, then shouldn't everyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know how I came to this old thread but it saddened me to read that so many women think that PPL should be seen as a bonus...

Let's not forget that if we do chose to have a baby we don't chose to stop working. We have to.
    Yes society should keep paying wages and superannuation for a few weeks (8 weeks for instance) - just enough time. to give birth and recover before resuming work. It is a basic entitlement... not a bonus... :-O

If we chose to stay out of the work force for longer then that's on us.

Oh and I'm not the only one that think along those lines.
    Eg. ILO recommends a minimum of 12-week leave at a rate of not less than two-thirds of previous insured earnings, with full health benefits.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

kw123  (30-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    I don't know how I came to this old thread but it saddened me to read that so many women think that PPL should be seen as a bonus...

Let's not forget that if we do chose to have a baby we don't chose to stop working. We have to.
    Yes society should keep paying wages and superannuation for a few weeks (8 weeks for instance) - just enough time. to give birth and recover before resuming work. It is a basic entitlement... not a bonus... :-O

If we chose to stay out of the work force for longer then that's on us.

Oh and I'm not the only one that think along those lines.
    Eg. ILO recommends a minimum of 12-week leave at a rate of not less than two-thirds of previous insured earnings, with full health benefits.
    I don't agree. I hardly think 8 weeks is long enough time off with a new baby. If a young baby doesn't develop a strong bond with its primary caregiver then they will be screwed up as a child/adult. I'm not saying the government should pay for 30 weeks off or anything. But I find the idea that 8 weeks leave is sufficient... Is laughable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @VicPark you missed my point. "8 weeks" was an example and not my opinion nor the point of my post :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (30-12-2013)