+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think it's a step in the right direction. Should the government pay a little bit? Yeah why not. Should they pay for all of someone's wage? No, that would send the government broke.

People on $60,000+ can have more expenses depending on where they live. They might not get paid parental leave through their work. And they may not have enough disposable income to save enough money to take leave all on their own. So the paid dad and partner leave could help.

Would my hubby use it? Probably not. He has generous leave through his employment and the government leave would not cover the mortgage and bills. I used the government ppl when I had bub. No way in heck it would cover the bills. So I took half paid leave from work (to extend my time off) and the ppl topped this up. It didnt quite take it to the same level but it helped and I was appreciative.
    Last edited by VicPark; 10-08-2013 at 06:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Better than nothing.

My husband is self employed, so any time he took off work was unpaid anyway.

I think any paid parental leave is better than nothing.

With government paid leave and my employee paid leave, I have totalled 46 weeks leave this time around. Pretty good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySunrise View Post
    Does anyone else think that this new dad and partners govt leave is a little bit ridiculous for anyone earning over $60k a year?

The condition is your partner must take unpaid leave from work and they will give you $606 before tax per week for 2 weeks.

The income test is a max $150k per year.
    Now my DH's wage is under this but still higher than min wage. I work part time on about a very low income.
    But with a toddler, mortgage and car repayments, as well as just standard bills, and another a baby on the way, there isn't very much (in fact very little) left in the kitty each week.

So even though we meet the income test, there is no way my DH could ever afford to take 2 weeks unpaid leave when the govt payment doesn't even match half his weekly wage.

After arguments about this with family today, am I the only one who feels this way?
    I can't believe people are actually complaining about this. Many countries don't get anything at all. $606 before tax is a lot better than nothing. If you can't do it then don't take it. Not like they're forcing you to take it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

waitinghoping  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    While I agree it's better than nothing, Australia is still vastly behind other countries with its maternity and paternity pay, and I think people should question/lobby this.

I think countries like the UK have it more right (not perfect) where more of the financial obligation is on employers as well as the Govt. It becomes a cost of business.

I know that would be a massive shift for Australia as its not done here, but a step towards that direction would be great.

Ultimately PPL needs to be at your usual wage for a period of time to actually allow it to fulfil the goal of allowing women to take time off work. Otherwise it's just a really nice thing to have, but women still need to rush back to work as minimum wage won't pay the mortgage and bills.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    While I agree it's better than nothing, Australia is still vastly behind other countries with its maternity and paternity pay, and I think people should question/lobby this.

I think countries like the UK have it more right (not perfect) where more of the financial obligation is on employers as well as the Govt. It becomes a cost of business.

I know that would be a massive shift for Australia as its not done here, but a step towards that direction would be great.

Ultimately PPL needs to be at your usual wage for a period of time to actually allow it to fulfil the goal of allowing women to take time off work. Otherwise it's just a really nice thing to have, but women still need to rush back to work as minimum wage won't pay the mortgage and bills.
    Agree completely!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have had 3 babies in the last 3 years. Our new bub due in Feb will be the first one that my husband is eligible to take leave for- we are undecided. At the moment we are expecting bub to be c sectioned late dec so DH will be on school holidays then and he also gets 5 days paid leave from his work as well as carers leave. No the dad payment won't match his wage so we are undecided whether he will take it or whether we use school holidays then his 5 days. We will see closer to the date

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I dont agree. Yes we are behind some countries in regards to maternity leave, but we are also way ahead of many others who dont have anything at all! I like that the government is chipping in towards maternity / paternity leave and yes, it is a step in the right direction. But it should only be a "Supplement" not a wage.

Why do people presume that the government should foot the bill to keep their lifestyle at their "pre-baby" level? I dont think that paid maternity / paternity leave should match a persons wage, particularly if they are a high income earner. If people are earning a decent wage and are going to have a baby.... why cant they plan ahead, budget and save for their time off as many women have done before paid maternity leave even existed? Yes, it might be tight for some, but ability to stay home longer must be an incentive I am in this exact boat now.

Paid maternity leave (if I even get it) will not match my income and I am the primary bread-winner in our house. We know we will be worse off when I am home when bubs #2 arrives but we have re-jigged our budget and are saving towards it. I dont "expect" to get the paid maternity leave and DH get the paternity leave, but it will be nice if we do.

As for businesses having to pay for maternity leave / paternity leave (or "filling the gap" between the government supplement and an employees wage) again I dont agree for the exact same reason The employee is going on "leave". Why should the employer have to fund it when they already fund sick / annual leave etc? Particularly small businesses who cant afford it? DH and I own a small business and having to foot the bill of paying for a staff-members maternity/paternity leave PLUS putting on a new employee to cover the one missing is not financially viable. Not all employers are big companies making millions so have money to spend on things like this!

Just my thoughts. Please dont flame me!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waitinghoping For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (10-08-2013),VicPark  (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

You can't go back to work when claiming ppl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You can't go back to work when claiming ppl.
    Yes I know...? Not sure why you think I think this?

I meant that women would have to go back to get their wages instead, since Govt PPL wouldn't cover their usual bills, etc for long enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a complete bonus for us. Dh is self employed sub contractor and we get around 40k a year not sure what minimum wage is but we are great at saving we have to as if it rains we don't get paid and at Christmas his boss shuts up for 3-4 weeks so we are going to take it at Christmas time not that we need it as like I said we budget for weeks with no pay.