+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dad and partner's leave?

Does anyone else think that this new dad and partners govt leave is a little bit ridiculous for anyone earning over $60k a year?

The condition is your partner must take unpaid leave from work and they will give you $606 before tax per week for 2 weeks.

The income test is a max $150k per year.
    Now my DH's wage is under this but still higher than min wage. I work part time on about a very low income.
    But with a toddler, mortgage and car repayments, as well as just standard bills, and another a baby on the way, there isn't very much (in fact very little) left in the kitty each week.

So even though we meet the income test, there is no way my DH could ever afford to take 2 weeks unpaid leave when the govt payment doesn't even match half his weekly wage.

After arguments about this with family today, am I the only one who feels this way?
    Last edited by RubySunrise; 09-10-2012 at 22:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its better than nothing..... My DP is taking leave without pay from this week to help care for me and bub..... He earns minimum wage, but we have saved to ensure that we can afford for him to have time off.

So, do you feel that the government should match your DH wage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I think it is unfair to expect the govt to match DH's wage.
    But I do think they should make eligibility realistic.

It's my opinion that it'll be unlikely that higher income earners will be taking up this opportunity (and not because they don't need it) so why not make the income test much lower? Say $75k?

But I do want to make it clear, just because DH earns higher than the min wage, does not make us rich or even financially comfortable. We have no savings and can't remember the last date we went on...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think it is pretty generous...when you add that to the baby bonus...means they are giving the family a lot of cash for doing what they were planning to anyway.

At a guess...most people on over 60k would be entitled to paid leave anyway so it is for those not eligible or who want more than the few weeks or don't want to use holiday time.

Why complain about the government givng you something for nothing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    But that's just it, we are not getting it. Nor do we get any sort of family tax benefit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have no savings, I recommend seeing a financial counsellor to review your budget. a toddler and a bub on the way are expensive, if you have very little left over now, its definitely time to review your budget to look for areas you can save money. I'd be more worried about that, then a government payment you aren't even applying for......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok then.....then I guess I am the only person who feels this way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm taking govt ppl which is less than half my normal wage after tax. I'm grateful for that and saved up money to supplement it. I imagine dads could do the same. I'm sorry but I don't really see your point?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    At some point it becomes an adults responsibility to look after themselves, and what the government provides is a bonus.

I believe dads leave is at this point. The government already helps with paid leave for women. If a family wants a child and wants the dad to take leave then they need to plan in advance and save money. If they seriously can not afford this they either need to look for a better paying job, look for a job with paid dads leaves or lower their expectations about how much time the dad will have off.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (10-08-2013),millsmum  (07-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess the same could be said for the paid maternity leave, some women earn alot more....I don't think it's a reason to be paid more.

We haven't decided if dh will take the government offered leave or not (waiting for him to check how much holidays he has and how much he needs to take over Xmas). If we take it, it's because he dosent have enough holidays to allow me to recover after a csection. I'm thankful we at least get something, even if it's half his wage